One Weird Trick for appearing more confident in a video

Mirandapanda

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Other youtubers hate him! :giggle:

Joking aside, this might be something everyone already knows about, but just in case, I thought I'd share.

When I was starting out making videos, I felt like I was talking too slowly and didn't seem as energetic as I wanted to be. Just getting my point across while recording was an accomplishment enough, so I didn't work on presentation as much. So I was messing around while editing and discovered an easy fix to make me appear more confident in my words and as an added bonus, shortens the video length a bit!

All I did was slightly speed up the video and audio (I'm talking about 105-110%, not the typical crazy fast forward speed) and selected "preserve pitch" so my voice didn't sound unnatural and chipmunk-like. And voila! That, plus some strategic jump cuts, can make you sound much more confident if your videos are coming across as slow and dull.

Hope this helps someone out! :)

Reactions: ThelifeofDJ

Chad Mikaelson

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the tip.. btw what editing software are you using?

itslevy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
That's interesting. Let's hope it will work for all of us!

Mirandapanda

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd also love to know if this is helpful for someone or it only works on me for some reason. XD[DOUBLEPOST=1468355983,1468355948][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, let me know if it helps out! It worked really well for me, so I'm curious if this works on everyone.[DOUBLEPOST=1468356156][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks for the tip.. btw what editing software are you using?
Just iMovie right now. Although there should be a similar setting for most software.

Reactions: Chad Mikaelson

chenrsf

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Oh wow, that sounds pretty interesting! I might use it one time. Thanks for sharing :)