One successful channel, but can't crack new ones :/

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi all,

I have one successful channel I started 7 years ago, but I am struggling when trying to launch a couple of new channels, with new videos getting just one or two views. I feel like I'm doing everything I can:

- optimised titles
- optimised descriptions
- optimsed video and channel tags
- an intro video
- good thumbnails (although no custom ones yet)
- regular updates
- content that should be popular to its given audience

Everything that has made my first channel successful, but I just cannot crack it. One or two views per upload.

I know I have not mentioned social media and that definitely it something that can help, but I feel that it should be a small addition to the channel instead of bringing in the most views? So is it a case of just being patient, doing all the right things and waiting for some traction? Both of my new channel have only been going for a couple of weeks.

Many thanks

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
If the channels aren't connected to your more successful channel in some way, then there's probably just a need to be patient. I think a lot of members here have had it take about 6 months to get to the first 100 subscribers, and then the channel's views and audience start to pick up a little more from there. I remember it usually took about one month for most of my videos to reach 100 views when 0 - 10 people were subscribed to my channel in early 2015 -- if that gives any perspective...

But once you do have a good viewership amount on a video, check the analytics and audience retention to see if people are abandoning the video at a certain point. A valuable thing the about audience retention graph is that it doesn't lie and actually shows you what people think (although...I'll admit that it's sometimes a bit hard to accept lol).

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have started new channels as well. Unless we use our main channel to drive traffic to the new ones, it will be slow going. It also depends on if viewers want to see the new channels as well. There is already so much content available.

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the replies. The new channels are on completely separate topics to the successful one (tapping into other 'markets') so I guess I just need to be patient :)

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
7 years from now you will have lots of views on your new channel too. But you can get there quicker by uploading good quality schedule content helped by improved SEO.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A lot of things have changed, even in the last year, not to mention 7 years. What worked before may not necessarily work now. With content saturation on the platform, new channels have to bring something extraordinary to stand out. We've started 2 new channels in the last 2 months, and growth has also been very slow. But we have not had any amazing content on them either. The best way forward it to keep to the latest trends but bring in your own special sauce, make the thumbnails pop out and the videos draw people in. That seems to be the way that new channels pop.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've started several new channels, and sometimes the videos I made did end up doing a lot better than it seemed like they were going to do. However it often took months before some of my guides started to accumulate views, and by that point I had given up many months before but I realized if I had kept going it probably would have gained real traction with a catalog of those guides slowly gaining views. I found it hard to "commit" to starting over though once I had already tasted a bit of success on my main channel.

Even videos that end up doing well can take a while for it to happen. One of my first ever videos which is now at 93k views, I remember it got 14 views on the first day. That's not very different from a lot of videos that go nowhere.