Older upload SEO updates.

Freddy Plays

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys, quick question:

would it pay to go back through some of my old uploads and update their SEO, or is it better to leave those fails in the past and keep pushing forward?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^^

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If you don't have too many videos, I would say do it. And if you get hundreds or thousands of views and you think it'll make a difference if they get a 10%-20% increase in views, or if a boost would allow them to be searched long term and have Youtube promote them through suggested and browse, then go for it. But it also helps if you know how to promote externally to give the old video a jump start.

I would also look at the audience retention time of videos you're considering updating the SEO for. It's more worth your time to do it for videos that got high audience retention, just not a lot of views.

Reactions: Freddy Plays

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It'll be one of those things that will be beneficial dependent on channel type. Usually an older video (1+ years) will not fare well with any updated SEO, not for suggested nor search rankings (unless it's a VERY specific video). The type of content matters, too. Information-based channels (How-to's, 101s, education, etc) usually will benefit from updating SEO of older videos. Considering you're a gaming channel, your content is even more time-sensitive minus any popular classic games you're playing. IMO, you're better off practicing better SEO for your videos going forward. Pay more attention to much more important factors such as retention, total session watch time, and content in general. You might even benefit from playlists if you really want to bring more life back into your older videos.

Reactions: Noobzilla