Ok experts: Review Me

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
It’s been a long time since we requested a channel review.. We’ve made some changes so i’d like to get opinions on how the channel looks, the banner image, the welcome-video and thumbnails (which seem to be an ongoing struggle), etc..

TIA

Last edited:

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I really wish I had some constructive criticism to add. but I checked out your video's a little while back and liked it so much to subscribe. you do a great job with your video/editing overall quality. I like the story telling in your most recent 2 video's, almost discovery channel like, the only thing I might be able to add is maybe be a little more upbeat in the intro to what the video is about. but really I would say your video's are top notch.

I actually grew up in Lucerne valley, ca. the trails exploring and off-roading in that area are about the only thing I miss about living out there, but I miss that part a lot. seems how most your video's are shot around that area it does make me a little home sick.....lol

Last edited:

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Thanks for the feedback..
Which intros are you talking about? The ones with the host (me) on camera talking?
yup like the one in your newest video where you say where you guys are going to go to the abandoned naval base at saltin sea and your going to show how to get there how hard it is to get there.........

I don't think its bad how it is but I think showing a little more excitement about what your video is going to be about, would help reel people in.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Ok thanks.. I always struggle on camera so until we can afford a young sexy host in a tight Tshirt i will work on my “Huell Howser” ..

SayNoToDomo

Reaction score
I think you did a great job at setting up the channel. If I was into this sort of content I would probably have subscribed, It did keep me interested enough to watch more than one video though. Keep the thumbnail style like your most recent ones because those look really professional. Gl with your youtube adventures.

Reactions: The NotARubicon!

SandMan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am not here to diss you but only give constructive criticism. Keep in mind I am a person with my personal likes and dislikes thus my criticism needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I would however try and look at your video from different points of view to try and avoid being biased, with that said here is my two cents.

For this criticism I looked at your tutorial and latest video "Off Road Exploring: Abandoned Navy Base at Salton Sea"

I have to say upfront I did watch the trailer its not horrible but its not great. It is just OK. There is no context. You show words like fun and adventure then try and proof it by showing a soundless short clip as proof. Take fun for example. A guy playing a banjo... it could be fun but I won't know because I could not hear if the guy was playing the banjo as a joke or you came across the most unique banjo player to date. Say there were sound but it was an average banjo player, that is not fun. Most people know what a banjo sounds like. Add people laughing, enjoying their time while the banjo player is playing music and also smiling. The other clips did not look like fun. Take the jeep driving up on the ridge, no emotion of fun was shown, sure there were cheers but that is an emotion of awe or amazement not fun, at that point the jeep made it onto the ridge I would have had the camera briefly showing the big smile or cheer that the driver had... that looks like fun. This is just the word fun it is not even "adventure" or "trail review". Other problems are the words has to much screen time, the music played dominates other effects way to much. To be honest it seems like a montage of video clips with random words between it... Plan your trailer properly. Don't just take snipits and fit it in a video.

All the great criticism received above is well deserved. It is a beautiful channel and the editing is done dam well. You would fit right into discovery channel or any other like minded TV channels but this is a problem on YouTube.

The target audience you are aiming to gain is not really part of the YouTube community... You will grow but not at a fast pace. Not a lot of YouTubers love documentary type videos but take this with a grain of salt as I am one of them.

Take FilmTheory for instance, sure it is nothing like your channel it is a complete different topic, he tries and proof that what films are doing can actually be done in real life and he does it well. With a total subscriber count of 6 mil. Mythbusters does the same but their YouTube channel got shutdown because the audience was not as active on YouTube. Their target audience was on Discovery Channel.

OK lets say that your audience is indeed on YouTube and everybody on YouTube is searching for the next best documentary. You focus your documentaries on a unique and creative topic but you present it like any other documentary. Classic introduction, some map or other means of showing how to get from point A to B with narration, narration on top of footage about the area and then a subject at the site giving more information... about the area. No real energy is brought through the video. I did not find any sense of adventure.

Some ways I feel like you can bring energy to the video is maybe adding drone footage, showing how the dune buggy jumped through the air from a dune, Uplifting music etc.

That is my two cents. Like everyone else said, it is well edited, the channel is beautiful and it seems like a lot of work goes into it.

Hope this helps

Last edited: