Normalize Your Audio

CalijaVG

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've been looking for a way to do this for so long and I never knew it would be this simple!
Thank you so much xD

Just normalising if you have highly dynamic audio is really not a good idea. If you have just one extra loud part of your audio that lasts even a tenth of a second, normalising will leave the rest of it incredibly quiet.

You want to adjust the gain manually to get the average level to however loud you want it to be (letting some parts go over 0dB), then use a compressor to reduce the peaks that go past the average level you decided on.
This is actually a critical piece of information in my opinion for that very reason stated.

CrystalD

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I never normalize - a compresser gives you a lot more control over the signal, because you can adjust the thresh hold and ratio and it works for the entire signal. Can also just go through manually with amplify and raise the lower bits of dialogue, then compress. Usually, I do this:

- Adjust the volumes of my tracks so they're all balanced and level. If I find a section topping out, I lower all the tracks before compressing.
- Compress all the tracks (I usually use a 1:5 or 2:1 ratio, sometimes 2:5 if you want your vocals to be more up front)
- If I lowered my tracks to compress, I do the leveling step here.

Normalizing is a good option too but I just find it messes with the signal too drastically for my liking lol.

Reactions: AudVid Bros
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
Oh sweet, I will try this out. As a person who gets loud when they're excited, I end up with high peaks in my audio ^^'

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
If you're using Adobe Audition go to effects> special>mastering and change the mastering level to around 55 to 65 % and apply. It gives you the option to apply some different eq settings as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Gamestage

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is a really good tip I'm definitely going to try this in my next video :)

HoeLeeFuQQ

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
well this is great tip, one person complain on my video recently that the music was too loud and i just started using adobe pro 11 starting to learn how everything works and i could never figuere out how to even out my volume i'm going to try -9db see how that workout for now and ill get back to you with results, again thank you for the tip, have a great day!

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hmm, I normally just adjust the gain so that the highest peak is at -0.1 dB. I don't like the idea of decreasing the range of sound. I've never had any of my videos sound too low.

Cyberdome

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
With kdenlive I just cut the part with the peak on the timeline and apply audio effect on it, compression or normalisation. When i'm using audacity it's only because i'm trying to save a vidéo that I should delete because the sound, in that case I start applying cofee effect on myself :)

Last edited: