Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

Normalize Your Audio

Discussion in 'Video Production' started by Zero, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Zero
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $51
    Ever get a lot of high peaks in your audio, whether it's from shouting or your mic isn't the best? Audacity has an option under Effects I believe that's called Normalize and what it does is basically evens out your audio by lowering the peaks (amplify seems to do the opposite), thus creating a more evened out audio for people to enjoy.

Summary: Normalize will even out audio level ( I use -9 dB for an even sound all the way through).

KingRay111 and Riddikore like this.
  2. Cameron Dubs
    Making David Cameron Sing!
    Cash:
    $38
    What a great idea! We normally use a "Match Volume" effect in a paid software, which equalizes each audio file we use (we use many per video for our channel), but even then it doesn't really work 100%... I never actually thought of doing this, it's such a simple idea... Might have to try it for our next video, thanks, haha :D

KingRay111 and KantoGaming like this.
  3. echoraven
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $348
    It's also know as "compression".

KingRay111 and KantoGaming like this.
  4. WeiseGamer
    Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
    Cash:
    $76
    These are two separate effects actually.

mintyslush, KingRay111 and RBG like this.
  5. echoraven
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $348
    Separate in name perhaps (not that familiar with "normalize") but conceptually they sound pretty darn close. As a musician, I'm very familiar with compression.

6. WeiseGamer
    Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
    Cash:
    $76
    From audacity:

Compressor -http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/compressor.html

Normalize -http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/normalize.html

RBG likes this.
  7. Mr.Arobel
    Cash:
    $4
    Nice, I always have problemes and have to choose between a too low volume or a satured one. I will try this

8. Zero
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $51
    I normalize mine at -9 dB and then bump the audio +1.0 so it's slightly louder as the normalize can make it quiet, seems to do really well.

9. RampaginRussian
    From Russia, With Love.
    Cash:
    $22
    This is brilliant advice! I have been normalizing my audio for a little while now and it really does bring another level of quality to the video.

KantoGaming likes this.
  10. NalaNosivad
    Cash:
    $11
    Just normalising if you have highly dynamic audio is really not a good idea. If you have just one extra loud part of your audio that lasts even a tenth of a second, normalising will leave the rest of it incredibly quiet.

You want to adjust the gain manually to get the average level to however loud you want it to be (letting some parts go over 0dB), then use a compressor to reduce the peaks that go past the average level you decided on.