Non-destructive editing?

earthpages

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I blurred some faces in a video, saved it privately, and then noticed I missed a face. If I edit the already saved video will this be a destructive or non-destructive edit?

I don't want to start all over from the beginning but probably would if just adding one more blur is destructive editing.

I'm using "Enhancements" to edit (auto and manual face blur).

Thanks. Hope this makes sense. I'm new to video editing and more familiar with the terminology for music editing. :)

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you edit the already-rendered video file, then yes, it's a destructive edit. If you still have the project file lying around, you can just open it in your video editor, add the blur you need, and then render it again for non-destructive editing.

Reactions: earthpages

earthpages

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks - the site was down (where I live) last time I checked so I just saw this.

I would love to save a project file (as I do in music and photo editing) but can't see how to do that with YouTube. I fear that hitting the Save button (see pic) would just save over and erase my original file, which I would not want. If there is a way to save a project, pls instruct!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My bad - when I said save a project, I meant in a video editing program (Vegas, Premiere, etc.), not on YouTube. Sorry if that wasn't clear :p

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm fairly certain you'll be able to add new blur non-destructively. Never done it myself, but if my instincts are correct, YouTube will let you remove the blur effect if it doesn't turn out right, so you can keep working on it until you get it right.

Reactions: earthpages

earthpages

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh yeah, I think I did that. I mean, I worked on it and was able to look at it and then revise it. But after the final save I think any further editing might have been destructive. Not sure myself. The image quality seemed okay but the overall movie might have been a bit more "flickery." :) Thanks for your insights and tips. I look forward to the day when a good downloadable program becomes freeware or extremely affordable. :bounce: