Non-Content Creators

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This just got my curiosity - maybe its in the youtube FAQ section which I missed, or its common knowledge.

Does youtube differentiate between original content creators and non-original content creators.

There are so many channels uploading clips of popular shows like family guy, simpsons and game of thrones. These channels do not post up any original content. They get lots of subs and views for obvious reasons.

Are these channels viewed equally as original content channels?

Do you they get a play button too when they reach 100k subs?

What about original content creators who decide to also upload clips of popular shows (legality aside) to boost traffic to their channel and original content?

Reactions: TGP-ROB

Skyler Henricks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
That's a good point and I get kind of annoyed when I get recommend to watch trailers for popular movies on channels like this rather than where they were originally released. I would like to find out this answer as well...going to have to do some research..

TGP-ROB

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well, surely they only give out silver play buttons to legit creators and same with the golden play button
Because that stuff gets reviewed by people doesnt it?

Reactions: Skyler Henricks

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Of course they still get a play button, they get a bigger following faster than most original creators because they are using popular content that everyone likes from movies, shows and music.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
In some circumstances, it is possible to use a copyright-protected work without infringing the original owner’s copyright.

That is called Fair Use in the US, and in most commonwealth countries the term is Fair Dealing.

Now this license allows creators to use copyrighted information related to research, private study, education, parody,satire, criticism, review, or news reporting

Now there are some factors required to evaluate whether something falls under the fair use license.

Here are a few of them

1) How does it benefit the channel copying or reusing the content. If it is for commercial use then that might be a problem.

Now, although the videos are monetized the creators are not making money from selling the video clips directly.

2 ) how widely the content is being distributed.Now this is very fussy, as a channel owner under youtube creators using copyrighted content are still considered small.

If the channel is a big brand, then there may be some concerns.

3) How much of the original work is being used

Using portions of the content will help you stay within the fair use or Fair Dealing license.

4) is the video creator taking money out of the original creators pocket? In most cases fair used content when used right actually promote the original content​

Now no matter what you do always credit the original author.

Haven said that even after following all that you might still have some accounting to do in some cases and that might sometimes end in court.

That is the risk many of such creators are willing to take. hope that helps you understand why and how other creators are using copyrighted content

Skyler Henricks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Of course they still get a play button, they get a bigger following faster than most original creators because they are using popular content that everyone likes from movies, shows and music.
I think what the original post was trying to get at was that it didn't seem right that they should get a play button for basically taking content that they had no hand in creating and posting it on YouTube while there are a lot of original content creators out there fighting to get a button

MentallyGames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
Pretty sure YT does not give even close to a damn whether your content is original or not, as long as it gets traffic. They only start caring about it when they get copyright claims.

Reactions: zhkopec

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Pretty sure YT does not give even close to a damn whether your content is original or not, as long as it gets traffic. They only start caring about it when they get copyright claims.
not that I would do it, but whats stopping an original content creator, randomly posting a 1 minute clip of the latest family guy/game of thrones episode, amongst their other videos, to drive traffic to their channel?