No more comment notifications via email?

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing this? Since last night I haven't gotten emails for new comments and I hope it's just "YouTube's latest glitch" and not permanent. :confused:

Not sure about you but I rely on those emails because the comments page doesn't show the latest replies at the top, and the bell notification is just confusing and inconvenient for me. With email I always get a notification on my desktop and I'll only delete the mail when I've replied to the comment, so it's easy to keep track of everything.

Don't even get me started on mobile notifications... :facepalm2:... okay, I got myself started :D... I always get notifications in different ways, sometimes from the YouTube app, sometimes the Studio app, sometimes Google Plus, or all of it. Argh. :rolleyes: Is it the same for you?

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I haven't had any new subscriber or comment notifications since 2 days ago, but I know subscriber notifications only show for certain users who subscribe and not all of them - and I don't think I've gotten any new comments in that time. So I can't really tell if it's the same thing you're experiencing or not.

I did notice some weirdness with comments in general two days ago though. I got a new notification about a comment, so I clicked to go to it, and it said "No comments to display", and all the 110+ comments from my video were gone. I went to another video of mine, same thing there.. checked a bunch and all my videos now had no comments. I then checked someone else's videos and they all had comments just fine.

So I logged out and visited my channel while logged out, and I could see the comments again - but when I logged back in, they were gone once again. I think randomly about 15-20 minutes later it fixed itself, but maybe something did go a bit funny with the comment system and that's why you aren't getting notifications?

Reactions: Sabrina

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Is anyone else experiencing this? Since last night I haven't gotten emails for new comments and I hope it's just "YouTube's latest glitch" and not permanent. :confused:

Not sure about you but I rely on those emails because the comments page doesn't show the latest replies at the top, and the bell notification is just confusing and inconvenient for me. With email I always get a notification on my desktop and I'll only delete the mail when I've replied to the comment, so it's easy to keep track of everything.

Don't even get me started on mobile notifications... :facepalm2:... okay, I got myself started :D... I always get notifications in different ways, sometimes from the YouTube app, sometimes the Studio app, sometimes Google Plus, or all of it. Argh. :rolleyes: Is it the same for you?
I get email notifications months later for messages I've already responded to. I never get them right away.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am not getting emails for comments either. I suspect it is a temporary glitch.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I am not getting emails for comments either. I suspect it is a temporary glitch.
It has been like this for a long time for me. I think since they detached G+ it has been even worse. Now when I get emails for new comments it is usually for a comment that was 4 months old or more. I did notice that a couple of my subs will trigger an email notice right away, but only a select few.

Kate's Adventures

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When I went onto the Studio app the other day it asked me if I wanted to change my notifications so I only got one set (instead of some from the YT app and some from Studio). It's not my preferred way of checking my comments but just thought I'd mention it.

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
subscriber notifications only show for certain users who subscribe and not all of them
Yeah, they don't show for viewers who have their subscriptions set to private. Although, they show up on your subs page later, so that's just another thing that doesn't make sense. :rolleyes:
and all the 110+ comments from my video were gone.
Damn, the comment system is really buggy these days. I had 1 comment disappear and was sad that the person deleted it, but then 10 minutes later it reappeared. :facepalm2:

I get email notifications months later for messages I've already responded to. I never get them right away.
LOL. Wow. I have... no comment. :D

Let's hope it is. YT doesn't make these things public, does it? It took away the tag suggestions and they don't seem to come back.

When I went onto the Studio app the other day it asked me if I wanted to change my notifications so I only got one set (instead of some from the YT app and some from Studio).
I think I set it so that I don't get everything twice, but it hasn't been working. I still get comments via the app but only some. It's a confusing mess.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
The comments are very buggy atm that's for sure.

I think YT has also changed the way they count comments in analytics - I believe they used to count the channel owner's replies as a comment, but they no longer do so. My reason for thinking this is that I get quite a lot of comments and I usually reply to them in batches, twice a week. This used to result in very noticeable peaks in the comments graph on those 2 days. I am no longer seeing those peaks so I'm pretty sure they're not counting those replies in analytics.

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
I believe they used to count the channel owner's replies as a comment, but they no longer do so.
Are you saying YouTube actually changed something for the better?? :D I'm gonna say it's "glitch until proven innocent."
But I hope it's real and next on their to-do list is no longer counting the channel owner's views, watch time and audience retention. That doesn't matter to a big channel, but yeah, small channels exist.

Reactions: Crown

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other

Here it goes again... I JUST got this email... As you can see this comment is a week old
new comment.jpg

old comment.jpg