Nintendo now allows monetization.

Devin

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Good news for us gamers on YT. Nintendo has finally caved in and they now allow monetization within the new guidelines of course. Mods if you could link the new guidelines please and thank you

Edit by YTtalk Staff (December 1, 2018):

The NCP (Nintendo Creators Program) will come to a close at the end of December 2018. Please note that we are no longer accepting videos and channels, and will not review any that have been submitted, but not yet registered. The NCP website will be taken down on March 20, 2019.
Source: https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/news/

Here are the updated guidelines to use Nintendo game content on YouTube:

November 29, 2018

We are humbled every day by your loyalty and passion for Nintendo's games, characters and worlds, and respect that you want to be able to express yourself creatively by sharing your own original videos and images using content from our games.

As long as you follow some basic rules, we will not object to your use of gameplay footage and/or screenshots captured from games for which Nintendo owns the copyright ("Nintendo Game Content") in the content you create for appropriate video and image sharing sites. To help guide you, we prepared the following guidelines:

• You may monetize your videos and channels using the monetization methods separately specified by Nintendo. Other forms of monetization of our intellectual property for commercial purposes are not permitted.
  • We encourage you to create videos that include your creative input and commentary. Videos and images that contain mere copies of Nintendo Game Content without creative input or commentary are not permitted. You may, however, post gameplay videos and screenshots using Nintendo system features, such as the Capture Button on Nintendo Switch, without additional input or commentary.
  • You are only permitted to use Nintendo Game Content that has been officially released, or from promotional materials officially released by Nintendo (such as product trailers or Nintendo Directs).
  • If you want to use the intellectual property of a third party, you are responsible for obtaining any necessary third-party permissions.
  • You are not permitted to imply or state that your videos are officially affiliated with or sponsored by Nintendo.
  • We reserve the right to remove any content that we believe is unlawful, infringing, inappropriate, or not in line with these Guidelines.
Please understand that we will not be able to respond to individual inquiries regarding these Guidelines. Also, we may update these Guidelines from time to time, so please refer to the latest version before sharing your content.

Q1: What types of content are acceptable under the Guidelines? What types of content are not acceptable?
A1: We encourage you to use Nintendo Game Content in videos and images that feature your creative input and commentary. For example, Let's Play videos and video game reviews are within the scope of the Guidelines.
However, you may not simply upload or livestream an existing Nintendo video, gameplay footage without your own creative input, or a copy of content created by someone else. For example, mere copies of Nintendo promotional trailers, tournaments, music soundtracks, gameplay sequences, and art collections are outside the scope of the Guidelines.

Q2: Do the Guidelines only cover video uploads, or can I livestream my videos as well?
A2: Yes, the Guidelines cover both uploads and livestreams.

Q3: What do you mean by "appropriate video and image sharing websites"?
A3: We generally accept most commonly used video and image sharing platforms such as, but not limited to, YouTube, Twitch, and Instagram. However, we reserve the right to remove any content that we believe is unlawful, infringing, inappropriate, or not in line with the Guidelines.

Q4: What exactly are the "monetization methods separately specified by Nintendo" as referred to in the Guidelines?
A4: Currently, the "monetization methods separately specified by Nintendo" include the following*:
  • Facebook -Facebook Game Streamer, Facebook Level Up Program;
  • Niconico Douga/Niconico Live- Niconico Creators Program, Niconico Channel;
  • OPENREC.tv - OPENREC Creators Program;
  • Twitch - Twitch Affiliate Program and Twitch Partner Program;
  • Twitter - Amplify Publisher Program; and
  • YouTube - YouTube Partner Program.
*Subject to be updated

Q5: Can I sell content that I create and upload or livestream on a sharing platform if it includes Nintendo Game Content?
A5: No, you may not sell any videos, music, or images that you created using Nintendo Game Content.

Q6: Can I create, upload, and livestream content that is based on other Nintendo intellectual property, outside of gameplay footage and screenshots (such as, fan art)?
A6: The Guidelines only cover the sharing of Nintendo Game Content on appropriate video and image sharing sites. Any other use of Nintendo's intellectual property and creation of content outside of this scope is subject to the relevant laws of the applicable jurisdiction. Nintendo cannot provide legal advice to you, so we encourage you to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted.

Q7: What if I record someone playing an unreleased game at a public event, such as a gaming expo?
A7: Please keep in mind that most public events have filming guidelines, and you are responsible for following those guidelines. If you are unsure, please check with on-site staff before uploading or livestreaming your video. We also reserve the right to remove any content that we believe is unlawful, infringing, inappropriate, or not in line with the Guidelines.

Q8: I am planning to host a gaming tournament using Nintendo video games, and upload or livestream a video of that tournament on the applicable video and image sharing sites. Are these activities subject to the Guidelines?
A8: Uploading and livestreaming Nintendo Game Content from a Nintendo-authorized or licensed tournament is within the scope of and subject to the Guidelines. However, hosting a tournament is a separate activity that is outside the scope of the Guidelines.

Q9: Under the Guidelines, can corporate entities upload or livestream videos and screenshots using Nintendo Game Content?
A9: The Guidelines are only applicable to individual consumers using Nintendo Game Content.

Q10: Will there be cases where Nintendo will remove content from sharing platforms?
A10: Yes, we reserve the right to remove any content that we believe is unlawful, infringing, inappropriate, or not in line with the Guidelines. In some cases, Nintendo may take down videos on behalf of our third-party partners.

Q11: What do you mean by content that is "unlawful, infringing, or inappropriate"?
A11: Examples of unlawful, infringing, or inappropriate content include, but are not limited to, content that incorporates Nintendo intellectual property and:
  • Violates applicable laws;
  • Infringes the intellectual property rights of Nintendo; and/or
  • Features pirated Nintendo software.
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/networkservice_guideline/en/index.html?n&fbclid=IwAR0e-btv-Vi9a8APL1bicQBE-9wKqlyrYC7hRdVMTSbBjWAzOo1-7w57B34

Last edited by a moderator:

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I took a screenshot from Nintendo's statement page:
ContentGuidelines.png
In other words, they seem to allow videos with commentary like commented gameplays or video reviews, but not plain uncommentated videos unless they are short clips. Definitively better than the older rules.

Reactions: Devin

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Link to the guidelines: nintendo.co.jp/networkservice_guideline/en/index.html
View attachment 42578
but not plain uncommentated videos unless they are short clips. Definitively better than the older rules.
From the page:

You may, however, post gameplay videos and screenshots using Nintendo system features, such as the Capture Button on Nintendo Switch, without additional input or commentary.
Meaning that even commentary is not obligatory.

Devin

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
View attachment 42578
In other words, they seem to allow videos with commentary like commented gameplays or video reviews, but not plain uncommentated videos unless they are short clips. Definitively better than the older rules.
Thank you! I probably should've done that.[DOUBLEPOST=1543659783,1543659695][/DOUBLEPOST]
Link to the guidelines: nintendo.co.jp/networkservice_guideline/en/index.html

From the page:

Meaning that even commentary is not obligatory.
This is 10x better than the old rules for sure.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank the Nintendo Gods for this being removed. It means that all of Nintendo nerds actually could have a shot at get some decent money for this. A good look for nintendo indeed.

Kyonite

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
This is so great, especially in the midst of the new Smash Bros! Smash channels are gonna be popping up everywhere even more than when Sm4sh came out. So happy with everything that's been happening from Nintendo lately, Switch is hype, guidelines change is hype, creators are popping off right now, and everything's awesome.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the networks / monetization forum. :)

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I updated the thread with new links. ^^ It's an unpopular opinion, but I kind of liked the Nintendo Creators Program -- but it's nice they are now being less strict about people posting videos. I'm hoping with YouTube's new stricter monetization policy that more copyright owners will become less strict about their content being on YouTube when it comes to videos like covers and gameplay (I don't mean direct uploads/stealing content....).

Reactions: Crown and Devin

Devin

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I updated the thread with new links. ^^ It's an unpopular opinion, but I kind of liked the Nintendo Creators Program -- but it's nice they are now being less strict about people posting videos. I'm hoping with YouTube's new stricter monetization policy that more copyright owners will become less strict about their content being on YouTube when it comes to videos like covers and gameplay (I don't mean direct uploads/stealing content....).
Thank you for putting the links in there. The Nintendo Creators Program wasn't as "horrible" as the rumors and social media said but this new policy is better lol.

Reactions: KatyAdelson