Nintendo copyright bull

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Maybe, just try enjoy the games for what they are and give up worrying about monetising videos of their products. They have every right to protect or block whatever they want, that's the beauty of copyright claims in a free market set-up. ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1416741251,1416740980][/DOUBLEPOST]

What happened to just playing games? Games as pure entertainment? Yeah, it's a new concept I believe! :p
What happened to killing 2 birds with 1 stone? There's no point in me buying a game straight away if I can't enjoy it and LP it at the sametime, otherwise I can play it in later on when they're much cheaper or never at all if I can't be bothered/forget about them, either way it's win win for me.
I do still play games for enjoyment here and there, more on a casual-ish basis (with the exception of Shadow of Mordor which I tried a few days after it's release to get it out of my system, would have actually paid for it if WB were LP friendly), but now that I have the channel to think about, I also have to think about spending money & time wisely towards certain games, especially since I don't make a single cent of my videos to begin with. That means cancelling out any games that I can't LP and avoiding developers/publishers that aren't let's play friendly.
I do still play games that don't allow monetisation on the channel as well, like stuff from Naughty Dog or Rockstar or Telltale Games (To be fair, I don't mind Telltale since their games require little effort to play & influence), so long as they don't place content ID claims on my videos, even if I don't monetise it, I don't want someone else too, it's a matter of principle for me; if I can't make money off it then they can't either. As a copyright holder they have the right to protect their IPs and as a consumer I have the right to refuse purchasing their IPs.

Reactions: CynicalChinchilla

unknown_user7464664647

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Oh yeah, at the beginning of Nintendo what was the first game released ?

Mario.

Anyway I already know the story of the company.

Kthxbye.
Great arguement. Actually they released a bunch of video games before Mario, and then Donkey Kong came where Mario was introduced in but the name of the game wasn't "Mario" and his original name was Jumpman. Also, even though Mario is the best selling franchise, they have the 2nd most selling franchise in Pokémon, and then Zelda games.

Also Nintendo is closed minded? Yeah, they really are...

But go ahead and just bash Nintendo because you can't make money out of the content they made and own.

Kthnxbye.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I posted this in general, but the Nintendo situation is essentially over. It will take some time for them to sort out ContentID I suspect, but Iwata has given public open permission for derivative works based on Nintendo products. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139223533&postcount=1

@ShiftHappens you're totally right to pounce on the kids terrible posts, but I take issue with your "content they made and own" reference. I see no appreciable difference between video games and any other product out on the market from an ownership perspective. The lawyer-speak EULAs we've been conditioned into accepting as fact like to talk about it being license rather than purchase, but at the end of the day barring a straight non-commentary let's play, pretty well all other video game related content is derivative in some fashion. I do not believe that these companies have the legal right to deny permission. Hopefully, we'll get some actual legal precedent to fall back on at some point, but the idea that a company can prevent me from making content with a product that I bought and paid for is ludicrous. And none of that touches the pragmatism side of the argument, meaning that companies trying to get in the way of YouTuber content are essentially throwing free marketing out the window.

TheDaveVTEC

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Great arguement. Actually they released a bunch of video games before Mario, and then Donkey Kong came where Mario was introduced in but the name of the game wasn't "Mario" and his original name was Jumpman. Also, even though Mario is the best selling franchise, they have the 2nd most selling franchise in Pokémon, and then Zelda games.

Also Nintendo is closed minded?

But go ahead and just bash Nintendo because you can't make money out of the content they made and own.

Kthnxbye.
Haha if only it was the case.. i don't even cover gaming videos on my channel so I dont know why we debate on this lol xd

Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter, Gamer, Commentator
What happened to killing 2 birds with 1 stone? There's no point in me buying a game straight away if I can't enjoy it and LP it at the sametime, otherwise I can play it in later on when they're much cheaper or never at all if I can't be bothered/forget about them, either way it's win win for me.
I do still play games for enjoyment here and there, more on a casual-ish basis (with the exception of Shadow of Mordor which I tried a few days after it's release to get it out of my system, would have actually paid for it if WB were LP friendly), but now that I have the channel to think about, I also have to think about spending money & time wisely towards certain games, especially since I don't make a single cent of my videos to begin with. That means cancelling out any games that I can't LP and avoiding developers/publishers that aren't let's play friendly.
I do still play games that don't allow monetisation on the channel as well, like stuff from Naughty Dog or Rockstar or Telltale Games (To be fair, I don't mind Telltale since their games require little effort to play & influence), so long as they don't place content ID claims on my videos, even if I don't monetise it, I don't want someone else too, it's a matter of principle for me; if I can't make money off it then they can't either. As a copyright holder they have the right to protect their IPs and as a consumer I have the right to refuse purchasing their IPs.
I can totally relate to buying games cheaper; I'm not really in a position to buy on release days. most of what I buy is months/even years old by the time I've got hold of it (unless it's a gift!). ;)

FireshockHD

Gaming review`s fireshock moment
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I just prefer not to monetize my videos within a network or not. Gaming videos are a very hit and miss with no getting claims. Nintendo and Sega are the worst ones tbh.

Bubbly Turtle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well listen. Im not saying I would stop playing nintendo games, In fact I just purchased SSB and Pokemon AS. Of course everyone has a different opinion on this subject. Giving at least a small cut of profit sounds reasonable since many people do indeed spend a lot of time recording, editing, and uploading gaming content for viewers.

XiaoK

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
nintendo, sega, blizzard, warner bros are the game that kill Youtubers