Nintendo being Nintendo

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So I might be buying a Super Game Boy soon and plan to review it. However, it's kinda hard to not mention the game boy's history without at least mentioning Super Mario Land. I plan to cover other non-nintendo games but will I get dinged by Nintendo if I so much as mention Super Mario Land?

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I doubt it. Nintendo usually copyright claims videos based on audio matches, as I can only assume gameplay is incredibly hard for an automatic system to detect (but possible). If you just say 'Super Mario Land' without using anything of the game, you should be absolutely fine. Either way, that's fair use you can dispute it. You're only mentioning the name for review/commentary. That doesn't hurt Nintendo's profit, in fact it helps them by giving promotion, and you only used as much of the game as you needed to: The Title (or box art, if you use visuals). I'd also avoid putting Super Mario Land in your tags, titles, and descriptions, because I believe the automatic system could search that as well.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
The third party claim system is usually automatic and based on stuff like sound or video footage, most important sound, so it can be circumvented by showing only things like cover art and in game screenshots, they won't be picked by the recognition unless you are especially unlucky.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hmm yeah, I guess I'll play it super safe and just stick to screen shots. And just be as quick and brief as I can. I just hate it because Nintendo is such a big piece of videogame history, how do you just skip over it?

I also hope they don't get super anal and come at me for the Super Game Boy itself.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
They won't know if you are talking about Mario unless you have Mario music in the background.
Plus the worst thing that could happen is that they take the ad revenue

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
The worst that can happen is a claim by them, they don't hit copyright right away just claim. Being someone who uploads nintendo content for the time being the only claim certain things like music and most of the time if the video includes a cut scene from the games. I just go ahead and add them to their partnership program and done lol.

Reactions: Devin

SkyeSanctuary

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I thought they eased up. I remember how mad people got a few years ago.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I thought they eased up. I remember how mad people got a few years ago.
Mostly because those people lived off the video income. They KNEW Nintendo was doing this, they continued to insist on putting up Nintendo game Let's Plays, and then they would complain about Nintendo claiming them.... but they already knew that. Just review something else Angry Joe.