New YouTube "Premieres" Feature.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was uploading a video this morning (still uploading it in fact, the internet is soooo slow in Italy...) and I saw a new upload option called "Premieres".

A quick YouTube search found a great video by VidIQ in which they explain all about the feature. Basically it allows a creator to schedule a time for publishing a video, and the thumbnail gets published as soon as the upload completes. Rather than being able to watch the video immediately though, underneath the thumbnail there is text that reads "Premieres Oct 31st at 10:00", or whatever date and time you have pre-set.

When the time and date arrives, YouTube add a countdown prior to the video and then publish it as if it were a live stream - allowing the creator to interact with viewers in a side bar chat screen.

When the video is completed it reverts to a normal pre-recorded video.

Personally I think this is a very interesting concept, and one that I am keen to try out.

Has anybody else heard of this or have experience with it?
Yeah just got it today...I have been waiting for it now for a while. I think Youtube is now rolling it out to European countries LOL

Boki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Ok, I used it and it was very fun! I hoped that my audience would comment the video as it went along (it didn't), but the hype was rather enjoyable.
Next time I'll time my Premieres when majority of my audience is actually awake :-D

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
It just so happens that I have a premiere coming up at 11:40 AM GMT on my main channel.

Boy what a time to not have VIP! Went and fixed that; and now the Premiere is in my signature if anyone wants to see what the page looks like before the Premiere goes live.

Last edited:

cienciabit

Reaction score
I tried it last sunday and generated a lot of expectancy. I believe that this tool shouldn't be used with all the uploads, but only sometimes i.e. once a month, because people could lose expectancy.

Reactions: Nicekid76

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I tried it last sunday and generated a lot of expectancy. I believe that this tool shouldn't be used with all the uploads, but only sometimes i.e. once a month, because people could lose expectancy.
Exactly! - It could be used more often. For example a daily upload channel could use it once a week because it would still only be 1/7 of their uploads.

ByeByeCubicle

Reaction score
I actually used it last Sunday to announce the winners of a Halloween challenge I was running (go check out my last video to see). It worked great, but a few people we mad about the constant reminders and even gave a thumbs down before the video premiered. The video page (before it goes live) allows likes, dislikes and comments. At premiere I have a few comments already, like 17 likes and 1 dislike.
Once it premiered I had about 100 people watching live, all commenting. Was pretty cool, but has to be used for time sensitive content or announcements. Any questions, let me know.
Cheers,
ET

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
It worked great, but a few people we mad about the constant reminders and even gave a thumbs down before the video premiered. The video page (before it goes live) allows likes, dislikes and comments. At premiere I have a few comments already, like 17 likes and 1 dislike.
You should be able to block likes on the video before it goes live and then turn it on when it's about to start.
How early did you set it to premiering compared to when the video was going to launch?

ByeByeCubicle

Reaction score
You should be able to block likes on the video before it goes live and then turn it on when it's about to start.
How early did you set it to premiering compared to when the video was going to launch?
I set up/uploaded the video on Friday (10/26) for the video to premiere on Sunday (10/28) at 8PM CST.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
That's not too bad. I thought it was a week early.

Some people might just not be happy because it's not happening right now and youtube sometime make it look like it is.

but some people are just haters though so take that into account.

• If the conversation before going live is important to you and you want that to go on for a few days before the video launches then keep doing what you doing.
  • If the convo before isn't important but you want other to see the date and time it will happen, another option is to turn of comments and likes until the day of
  • Or upload the video later (with the down side that people might not know that your event is coming up later that weekend.
I personally would do the second option if I were in you situation but these are just my thoughts and you in no way have to do this.