New trend? - "Study with me" videos

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru

A Japanese morning show recently did a report on how some kids are doing their homework while playing clips of YouTubers studying.

The videos feature creators quietly studying for as much as an hour at a time, and are intended to be consumed by viewers who are also doing homework — with audiences primarily consisting of middle and high school students. One such video by the popular Japanese creator Hajime Shacho (6.1 million subscribers), for instance, has racked up more than 3 million views. Over the course of the hourlong clip, Shacho doesn’t utter a single word, but can be seen with his head buried in a book, taking notes.

Perhaps young people are playing these clips so they don’t feel like they’re alone? Many clips seemed aimed at junior high school students studying to get into high schools or high school kids studying for college entrance exams.

There are also videos of people working in an office!

Some examples:

Article sources: https://kotaku.com/youtube-trend-in-japan-lets-study-and-do-homework-clip-1825100081
and https://www.tubefilter.com/2018/04/09/study-with-me-youtube-genre-japan/

It reminds me of the Korean trend known as "mukbang" which are vids of people eating and people watch them so as not to feel like they're eating alone.

Would watching these videos help you study or work harder? I think I'd be distracted by them but I can see how they could help some people. Thoughts?

Reactions: KatyAdelson

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I've never even heard of this before. But I kinda understand the appeal. I think it's like how people watch Let's Plays to experience the feeling of having a friend play the game with them. Or how people watch vlogs to experience the feeling of traveling with someone. People watch this to have the feeling of studying with someone. And I guess it helps you feel less alone.

Hour long videos.. Not having to utter a word.. Not bad, Hajime Shacho. Not bad. Now that's what I call easy views.

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I mean I can kinda see why. While you study you’re kinda in the zone so maybe just hearing another person occasionally turn pages or scribble something down can perhaps make you feel more relaxed?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Would this be in a similar niche as ASMR?
If I was studying; I think this might help. It would beat having a film on / music on.
I do watch similar videos - IE mundane long videos to help pass the time.
I made a video once shampooing the carpet followed by hoovering my living room. No speach / no thrills / 30 mins long. It has 40k views and 80% likes.
OK its not in the millions of views but proves there are people that will watch anything.

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
I've also noticed a trend of people using live events for study music. I guess the appeal would be that it helps people to stick to a schedule.
I made a video once shampooing the carpet followed by hoovering my living room. No speach / no thrills / 30 mins long. It has 40k views and 80% likes.
OK its not in the millions of views but proves there are people that will watch anything.
That's hilarious. Sometimes when I dig into my analytics I come across search terms that make me go "eww".

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Here's something funny that happens to me: when I want to study distraction free on my main PC I started putting up those "videos for cats to see" on fullscreen. That because I see stuff moving in front of me constantly and I don't get alerted immediately if something moves, and in general having something that moves in front of me (as long as it's not something very distracting like a videogame) seems to have a positive effect. And the video is fullscreen, so I can't see what's happening in other windows that could be a potential source of distraction. I guess those videos replicate about the same effect.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
i kinda get it actually. We are engaged in media in strange ways nowadays.

I watch worse stuff than this. hmm I'm guilty of playing 12 hour youtube videos of engine idle noise from uss voyager.. couldn't go sleeps otherwise!.. engine stops no life support!!

Reactions: KatyAdelson

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I wonder if this might turn into a livestreaming thing? It would be kind of cool -- every evening at 4 pm-ish a livestream of studying for an hour might help motivate kids to work on their homework. I would get distracted by the "recommend for you" videos, but if people have self-control over what they watch on YouTube, I think stuff like this could be helpful.

MarcNL

Reaction score
I see how this could possibly work for someone who feels better studying with someone (even if it’s through a computer screen. Not sure if it would have worked for my though in my student days but if it helps a certain group of people then it’s a good idea.