New to YouTube, help me with my ideas!

covencat

Reaction score
Hello! I kind of randomly stumbled upon this forum, and I was hoping for some feedback. I've been on YouTube since it was first created, it's something I absolutely love and something I spend a lot of time on. I've always wanted to be a youtuber, but I've never really pursued it until now. I LOVE makeup, fashion, music, anime, and spooky things. I want to make a vlogging channel that focuses on those interests. Here's my ideas:

I want to do Makeup Mondays, which would be makeup tutorials, first impressions, reaction videos, loves and hates, get ready with me videos, etc. Anything makeup related really. I also had the idea of doing something called "I suck at makeup" basically, it's a tutorial but the focus isn't some insta perfect makeup look. I'm not an expert at makeup, but I absolutely love it. I'd make it funny, have some jokes about how much I suck lol but really the focus is that makeup is about creativity and fun, and you don't need to be amazing at it to showcase it. it's okay if your brows aren't on fleek, or your liner doesn't match. Because mine doesn't either lmfao. I guess that's the feel I'm going for, more down to earth.

Then I want to do top 10 Tuesdays. I love videos like this personally because it shows me new things to check out. I could do, top 10 animes. Top 10 horror movies. Top 10 bands you've probably never heard of. Top 10 songs I will always be obsessed with. Anything really that has to do with my interests.

I also had the idea of Wine Wednesdays. I've always loved videos where people get drunk and answer questions. This where I'd do rants, Q&A's, challenges, games like would you rather, two truths and a lie, etc but the twist is I'll always be drinking during this segment. I LOVE wine and I could drink other things as well.

I want to do Fashion Fridays, where I'd do look of the day videos, clothing hauls, first impressions, etc etc.

And lastly I want to do Spooky Sundays, I LOVE horror, mystery, the occult, anything spooky. I could do different things with this, I had the idea of covering different myths, legends, creepy pasta, horror stories, conspiracy theories, murder crimes, unsolved mysteries, etc. It would be informative and fun. I could also talk about new horror movies, books, do unboxings of scary things (haunted mystery boxes), do reaction videos of scary videos and such, etc

These are my ideas so far, all of my friends are super supportive and think it's awesome, but I'd love to hear some anonymous feedback! I'm a super outgoing in your face kind of person lol. I'm a graphic designer and love being creative, and love collaborating and getting ideas from others. If anyone has ideas as well it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the scripts / ideas / planning forum. :)

@covencat

Hi and welcome to YTTalk. :)

Can I suggest you introduce yourself to the community (not just your channel) ? :) (Not in this thread though)

-Please read this thread to learn how to make a good introduction thread: http://yttalk.com/threads/read-this-before-you-introduce-yourself.126658/
-and then introduce yourself here: http://yttalk.com/forums/introduce-yourself.4/

We're a friendly bunch and there's loads to learn here that will help grow your channel so I hope you decide to stick around. :)

covencat

Reaction score
Moved to the scripts / ideas / planning forum. :)

@covencat

Hi and welcome to YTTalk. :)

Can I suggest you introduce yourself to the community (not just your channel) ? :) (Not in this thread though)

-Please read this thread to learn how to make a good introduction thread:
-and then introduce yourself here:

We're a friendly bunch and there's loads to learn here that will help grow your channel so I hope you decide to stick around. :)
Thank you! I'll definitely do that later on.

AceOfBats

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Heya Cat, welcome to the forum. You seem like someone who has a lot of passion and high energy, which is nesecarry for a YouTube channel. I might recommend a singular focus on your channel for now. Maybe just Fashion to start, or maybe just Wine to start. As an Anime Fan the Top 10 lists would be pretty cool, but personally I wouldn't find much of an interest in the other four days out of the week. Makes me a little less inclined to subscribe and more inclined to just "Look you up every once in a while." Perhaps you can focus on the fashion a bit more? It's a universal subject. The market is saturated, but you can still do fun top tens. Like "My Top 10 Clutches & Handbags for Spring 2018" or if you're into anime "Anime Fashion Days." Or something like that.

Personally I'd hit the planning notebook a bit tonight and try and narrow things down a touch. Can't wait to see you around the channel. Also, self proclaimed Yu-Gi-Oh expert if you ever need one for an Anime Fashion Countdown lol. Cheers!

Reactions: covencat

chubbybots

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hmm I would say with such a high energy perhaps i would focus on yourself :D Variety does work if the person behind it is interesting and entertaining to watch like Sara Dietshcy. She is more to vlogging but her topics are wide ranging so perhaps you can go a that angle for your channel :D

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
I really like your ideas and you seem to know what you want and what you are going to do! To me you would come across as more professional and watchable and reliable because of the consistency you plan on having in your videos. I think that you should try it out. There’s really no harm in doing it the way you want to do it first. It’s always better to do “too much” than do too little. Because you could always reign it in and that would be easier. Just my two cents though. Also, your link doesn’t work :(

covencat

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice! Yeah I figured it was broad, but I thought it's better to start broad and narrow down than to have only a small idea and try and broaden it. I absolutely do love fashion and would want it to be a big part of my channel, problem is I need the funds to get all the awesome clothes I want! haha. There's A LOT of brands I follow that I have wishlists on, my plan is every month to buy 4 items from each brand and start building a nice collection. They are mostly all alternative brands/tumbr aesthetic looking clothes, as well as Asian fashion/anime clothing. Right now my collection is quite small.

I have no idea how to link my channel. I have nothing right now. I don't want to get started until I have my logo/branding in place, and have a set up so it looks clean and professional. I just made the channel quickly since it was needed for sign up on this forum. I'm only on the brainstorming preparation stage right now, once I get it all sorted I plan to pre-record all my first videos and edit them. I already have experience as a graphic designer and with video editing luckily!

As far as narrowing down content, the three main things that I want to focus on is makeup, fashion, and spooky. The makeup and fashion will all be "spooky"/alternative, so they all kind of go together. Anime has been a huge part of my life and I feel that culture somewhat goes with alternative culture as well in many ways, but I don't want it to be purely anime related, if that makes sense. You guys have more experience than I do, i would love to know what kind of content you think does the best and what would be the most appealing. Thank you all for the feedback!

Reactions: CristyTango

George Hudson

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
To be fair all those ideas sound incredible. I like the Wine Wednesday idea... might have steal that one ;) Linked with that the Drunk challenges would be hilarious or you could even do a twist on drinking games. For example, do like beer pong (or wine pong if you wish) and then on the bottom of every cup is a different challenge..... wait that's actually a good idea.... okay ignore that, that ones mine..... okay I guess you can use it if you wish. But yeah that's an idea just try to mix two things together. A passion of yours mixed with a popular video type ie. Spooky challenges, drinking q&a's, you could do some sort of fashion show challenge.... but yeah hope this helps

covencat

Reaction score
To be fair all those ideas sound incredible. I like the Wine Wednesday idea... might have steal that one ;) Linked with that the Drunk challenges would be hilarious or you could even do a twist on drinking games. For example, do like beer pong (or wine pong if you wish) and then on the bottom of every cup is a different challenge..... wait that's actually a good idea.... okay ignore that, that ones mine..... okay I guess you can use it if you wish. But yeah that's an idea just try to mix two things together. A passion of yours mixed with a popular video type ie. Spooky challenges, drinking q&a's, you could do some sort of fashion show challenge.... but yeah hope this helps
Oh my god I love that!!! Thank you!

Reactions: George Hudson