New Series Idea

ItsMegan2

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been wanting to change up the types of videos I do a bit, and I had an idea for a new series that would be fun for me to make. Basically I would make a playlist of either 50 or 100 songs I've been loving for the past 3ish months and put the name of the song and the artist over vlog footage or cool shots so it's like an update vlog thing but also like a what music do I like video because I've been wanting to make one of those for a while but I didn't know exactly how I wanted to do it and I didn't want to just talk about each song. I wanted to make this into a series that i would do only a couple times a year so i have enough footage and I can find more songs.

Ralph Mickey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I know what you mean about not knowing a good way to make "about music" vids since you can't play the songs you want.

I started a post almost about the same thing and I haven't had any comments on it yet.
yttalk.com/threads/is-there-a-legal-way-to-do-a-radio-type-show.258468/

I would love to do more vids about showcasing music too but I haven't thought of any real cool way of doing it without being able to play the song either.

That sounds like a great idea though. Let me know if you find a good way to present them.

ItsMegan2

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know what you mean about not knowing a good way to make "about music" vids since you can't play the songs you want.

I started a post almost about the same thing and I haven't had any comments on it yet.
yttalk.com/threads/is-there-a-legal-way-to-do-a-radio-type-show.258468/

I would love to do more vids about showcasing music too but I haven't thought of any real cool way of doing it without being able to play the song either.

That sounds like a great idea though. Let me know if you find a good way to present them.
Yes exactly! I didn't want it to just be like me saying the titles of all the songs and I couldn't play the songs so I wanted to do something creative. I was inspired by Thatsojack's series he does called My Favorite Songs You've Never Heard, and I wanted to do something similar without it being the same thing.

Ralph Mickey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Yes exactly! I didn't want it to just be like me saying the titles of all the songs and I couldn't play the songs so I wanted to do something creative. I was inspired by Thatsojack's series he does called My Favorite Songs You've Never Heard, and I wanted to do something similar without it being the same thing.
I haven't heard of that before but just watched a minute of it - but how is he legally playing those ? or is he even worried about it ? Or are they ones he already looked into for copyright.

even if you can get away with those snippets would be good enough for anything I would have in mind.

ItsMegan2

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I haven't heard of that before but just watched a minute of it - but how is he legally playing those ? or is he even worried about it ? Or are they ones he already looked into for copyright.

even if you can get away with those snippets would be good enough for anything I would have in mind.
I'm not entirely sure, but I wasn't going to put any of the actual songs in my videos.

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you don't plan to monetize, I think short clips might be okay unless one of the track license owning record companies just ends up muting the whole video. I have a travel channel in addition to my main channel and I use parts of a single copyrighted track (that I have actually purchased when I was DJing) on all the videos on that channel as the "theme song" since I love the travel feel of that track.

Most of the videos on that channel get flagged and show ads for the record company, but that's it. But then again I think that record company is a bit smaller, so they might just be okay with the extra exposure and income they might get since I'm also crediting the artist and song on every video, so it's kind of fair use. I do admit it's a bit risky, but I hadn't heard of Epidemic Sound when I started that channel and it wouldn't make sense to change the theme song mid-season, so YMMV.

Minikinart

Reaction score
I don't personally know the series mentioned, but here are a few ideas I'd try if I wanted to do a video like that:
- say the name of the artist(s) and song title
- sing the song (if you like singing; you don't have to be good, just show you're having fun in your life, it'll help show off your personality too)
- explain why you like it is it the lyrics, the story behind it, is it from your favourite band and it's just oh so nice,...?

I personally wouldn't use songs in the video, they could get flagged and muted or worse. You also never know when and if you'll want to monetize so it's always better to play by the rules and maximise your income later on if you choose to do so. Good luck! :D

Reactions: Ralph Mickey