New guy needs video/sound help

bjplague

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is bjplague and i just started recording and editing for youtube purposes and was looking for a little help.

i need help with sound and lighting. first off the video is darker then it was when i was playing i tried a few settings i read about but nothing really nailed it. video recording with OBS Studio, editing with Vegas Pro.

Also my voice is darker in the video then real life so it sounds like im talking through a wall or something.
obs studio for the mic recording.

can not post link but it searching for bjplague on youtube finds me and my video :)
There is alot of room for improvement and was hoping for some pointers, either a specific setup in either programs or maybe advice on an easier entry program to start out with til i get my bearings.

any feedback is welcome. brutal honesty appreciated.

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
First of all, we need to know what microphone you are using, cause the microphone could just normally sound like that. Then, there are settings you can change in OBS and Vegas to help improve lighting, but the best way to improve your lighting would be to go get a ring light. They are fairly inexpensive and really help with lighting.

bjplague

Reaction score
thank you for the reply, well i am not using a camera, only game screen capture.
the headset i am using is arachnid synga 5.1 sound.
the normal mic sound from it is quite good so i think the culprit is the vegas pro system.

the reason for this is that the raw video is better quality then the file i got from vegas pro.
also. before the render the file was 250 mb, after the render even though i did not edit it, just rendered it so that divx could get both sound channels from the video it ended up being 1.1 GB.
the soundquality and light quality degraded.

sorry to waste your time, i have realized i need to park my butt and watch a few hours of tutorials instead of asking for a quick fix. there are simply too many unknowns for you guys to give me an accurate answer as you do not know which of the 1 million settings i have messed with :) thanks though pf101

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use a Blue Yeti with good results.

bjplague sounds like a dodgy name though to me.

bjplague

Reaction score
it's been my nickname for about 25 years, got used to it. Had another go at youtube a while ago under the channel name orionistv but never really like it.
anyway's i found a solution to the video quality which was increasing the bitrate from the default 2500 to 20.000 and pumped up the gain filter a bit + redused noise so the next video turned out alot better. have not rendered it yet so there is another hurdle but baby steps.. baby steps :)