New DSLR

scott faulknor

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I only have a GoPro but want to get another camera. Im looking at the Canon 80d. Is it really pessary to be shooting in 4K these days? I know this camera doesn't shoot 4K but my GoPro does.
Are there any other cameras you would recommend. I am mainly shooting Lawn care videos, Water skiing and skiing videos and the odd vacation video.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I upload my videos in 720p because I can't afford to get Lightworks pro (tho apparently hit film will work, but so far its really slow and laggy.) and that footage looks ok on my brothers 50+ inch UltraHD tv.

Obviously, you can get better footage with the 4k cameras, provided you don't have a crappy camera and do things the right way, I just don't think its necessary. When you hit a certain point, you only really notice things when pointed out.

But, I don't do a videography channel, I am sure that thatPeter McKinnon fellow would get a lot of lashback if he suddenly switched to my camera (700d) at 720p.

Depends on what you are going to do. Look at your analytics, see how many people are watching you on mobile devices. It doesn't tell you home many people watch you full screen, but I almost always watch videos in the small window. So, how often is 4k just going to be a drain on your resources?

Plenty of people would say this is wrong. But, really, am not yet a supporter of the whole 4k thing.

EDIT: Maybe your channel would benefit from a 4k camera, provided it does a better job than a 1080p camera since you do such visually orientated content.

scott faulknor

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I upload my videos in 720p because I can't afford to get Lightworks pro (tho apparently hit film will work, but so far its really slow and laggy.) and that footage looks ok on my brothers 50+ inch UltraHD tv.

Obviously, you can get better footage with the 4k cameras, provided you don't have a crappy camera and do things the right way, I just don't think its necessary. When you hit a certain point, you only really notice things when pointed out.

But, I don't do a videography channel, I am sure that thatPeter McKinnon fellow would get a lot of lashback if he suddenly switched to my camera (700d) at 720p.

Depends on what you are going to do. Look at your analytics, see how many people are watching you on mobile devices. It doesn't tell you home many people watch you full screen, but I almost always watch videos in the small window. So, how often is 4k just going to be a drain on your resources?

Plenty of people would say this is wrong. But, really, am not yet a supporter of the whole 4k thing.

EDIT: Maybe your channel would benefit from a 4k camera, provided it does a better job than a 1080p camera since you do such visually orientated content.
Thanks. I can't really tell the difference either from 4k or 1080. But with my new computer I made sure I could edit 4k with out being lagging.

Reactions: coliwob

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Thanks. I can't really tell the difference either from 4k or 1080. But with my new computer I made sure I could edit 4k with out being lagging.
Me either. I am sure that a small percentage of the population tho, or these days a pretty sizable percentage, will be able to notice on their expensive 4k tv and such. But, A) thats a small portion, and B) you usually have to point it out. For me, a cooking channel, I'm fine if someone wants to disengage because I am slightly soft. There's not a lot I can do about it at the moment anyway :/

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I think the vast VAST majority of youtube viewers dont care what the resolution is and would not even be able to tell the difference..
All of our cameras shoot in 4K yet we still shoot and upload everything in 1080 - and sometimes even 720.
The only thing we've ever found 4K usefull for is if we need to zoom in/crop on something with no loss of resolution.. But that need is so rare it's not worth it.
The drawback of 4K is that it takes 4x more storage space, takes 4x longer to copy from your camera/download/upload to youtube and on many computers, makes the editing process slower (because the computer may choke on the 4k footage).

jacksback

Reaction score
Hey i recently got my first dslr. It was the canon 700d it works well and shoots in 1080p 30fps which is all i need but im saving for a 70d so i think the 80d will do just fine.