Need some help on if I should remove "gaming" from my name or re-brand entirely!!!

WinterstrikegamingYT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello everyone :D!

So lately ever since 2018 really I've started feeling a little detached from my YouTube channel username "WinterStrikeGaming" because with it being 2019 and all I think the use of the word "gaming" in my name seems a little tacky and or cringe and I wanted to change that but I'm not sure if I want to re-brand or not because to me "Winter" or "WinterStrike" on its own just doesn't look satisfying to me. So you all can see the dilemma I'm in because I personally grew up with YouTubers like VanossGaming and H2O Delirious and the rest of their crew and I've always wanted to have some sort of catchy name like they do. I got inspiration to put "gaming" in my name from VanossGaming because at the time of making it in 2015-16 it just felt right and natural to have it in my name and it's what most gaming channels did back then but with these new times and all I just feel like having "gaming" in your name is childish and dumb or cringe but I can see the positives it has like telling people what type of content will be shared on my channel. I plan not only on doing Let's Plays but also a variety of gaming content and maybe when I'm bigger even start to vlog on occasion or just do some Irl videos like Wildcat, Nogla, Fourzeroseven, BigJigglyPanda, etc inside of their friends group. I want to hear what you guys here on YTtalk think I should do from keeping my name "WinterStrikeGaming" the way it is or removing it from my name or just entirely re-branding to something diffrent.

Thanks alot!

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hello everyone :D!

So lately ever since 2018 really I've started feeling a little detached from my YouTube channel username "WinterStrikeGaming" because with it being 2019 and all I think the use of the word "gaming" in my name seems a little tacky and or cringe and I wanted to change that but I'm not sure if I want to re-brand or not because to me "Winter" or "WinterStrike" on its own just doesn't look satisfying to me. So you all can see the dilemma I'm in because I personally grew up with YouTubers like VanossGaming and H2O Delirious and the rest of their crew and I've always wanted to have some sort of catchy name like they do. I got inspiration to put "gaming" in my name from VanossGaming because at the time of making it in 2015-16 it just felt right and natural to have it in my name and it's what most gaming channels did back then but with these new times and all I just feel like having "gaming" in your name is childish and dumb or cringe but I can see the positives it has like telling people what type of content will be shared on my channel. I plan not only on doing Let's Plays but also a variety of gaming content and maybe when I'm bigger even start to vlog on occasion or just do some Irl videos like Wildcat, Nogla, Fourzeroseven, BigJigglyPanda, etc inside of their friends group. I want to hear what you guys here on YTtalk think I should do from keeping my name "WinterStrikeGaming" the way it is or removing it from my name or just entirely re-branding to something diffrent.

Thanks alot!

Moved to the branding / design forum. :)

My opinion is that if your channel is still about gaming, then it is good to having "gaming" in the name for 2 reasons:

1) For SEO purposes - "gaming" is the keyword that defines your content and so it will help the algorithm to correctly rank your channel and videos.

2) If / when you are commenting on other people's videos, if you make a good comment (funny or informative), then people will often look at the name of the person making the comment. If they see "gaming", then it's pretty obvious that you're a creator yourself who makes gaming videos and you'll probably get a few clicks. Whereas if you have more of a "branded" name like "Nogla", then people will have no idea what that means (if anything) - They certainly won't know you make gaming videos unless they click through. Those sort of generic names work fine for huge corporations who have millions of dollars to spend on marketing to educate people what their brand does. Think of names like "Apple" - It's name of fruit lol. - If they weren't a billion dollar company with a huge ad budget, nobody would realise they're a tech company. It's just going to be a lot easier to market a new channel called "XXXXX gaming" rather than something like "Phoenix". ^^

Kyonite

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
I personally think that having gaming in your name is more detrimental than it is beneficial. If I see a channel in comments either self-promoting or just making a funny comment, I think I personally have less of a chance of clicking their channel if they have gaming in the name. Also it categorizes your content so if or when you wanna branch out and do things other than gaming, your audience built from gaming will probably reject it. I feel like rebranding would be a good thing.

Reactions: KennyT

WinterstrikegamingYT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank you and yes this is exactly the same way I think in this situation but I don't know if I should rebrand completely or shorten my name. Do you have any thoughts on if I should rebrand or shorten it to "Winter" or "WinterStrike". Personally I would rather rebrand completely but I'm having trouble coming up with catchy one liner name like yours being Kyonite.

Kyonite

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
Thank you and yes this is exactly the same way I think in this situation but I don't know if I should rebrand completely or shorten my name. Do you have any thoughts on if I should rebrand or shorten it to "Winter" or "WinterStrike". Personally I would rather rebrand completely but I'm having trouble coming up with catchy one liner name like yours being Kyonite.
Well funny thing is that before I was Kyonite, I was KyoniteGaming, which is why there's a g in my logo. The way I came up with my name was kinda weird. I was looking for a name while simultaneously looking through Minecraft mods back when I used to want to make a modpack when I was like 12, and I saw an ore called kyanite ore, like the gemstone in real life. Than I just slapped gaming on it. In short, if you wanna come up with a good name, googling stuff you're interested in might just help you out a little bit. Hope this helps, and reply once you find your new name!

KennyT

Reaction score
i just went with my name altought i make gaming videos, still i think its more of a personal preference then anything else. Sure you might benefit from a few clicks of interested people in gaming but still. If you wanna change just, change it but make sure you warn your subs and at least make a video on it so people don't jump out to conclusions, and as a matter of respect.

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
I do like the current name for your channel. Personally I don't see any issues including the word gaming on it. It sends a clear message on what your content is about.