Need Simple Advice on how to angle/position my Microphone!

GuessTech

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hey guys/ladies..

I researched and tested some microphones -- and decided on the Yeti (Blackout edition (just for looks) ) -- But the Blue Yeti has the best bass/low end response in the sub $300 price range imho -- and the sensitivity can be controlled but be useful as well.

Anyhow -- With this microphone I have the Radius II Shockmount coming -- as well as a popular pop Filter -- and I didn't skimp on a $13 Arm stand -- I went halfway decent with the Rode PSA1.

So you should have an idea of what I'm working with.. it's range, etc.

Now I'm looking for the best angle/position to move the microphone on that articulating arm to have it OUT of my face completely and not blocking any of the monitor in front of me. (I'll be talking into it while gaming -- need focus etc).

So I'll have it on Cardoid,.. so the parallel to my mouth is best but I'm unsure how best to get as close to that while keeping it out of my vision as I can come.

I was thinking -- maybe mount it really close or just behind monitor and have it literally go up high and come down 'upside down' (Shock mount at top) -- the the microphone is upside down coming down and bottom of microphone is coming down to maybe middle of my forehead (wherever it wouldn't be in my line of sight).

Then I thought,.. maybe I could just slide the arm over to the right or left of my face -- But unsure how bad that will sound, or if the mic can be adjusted to work fine 12 inches away to the right or left. Or maybe my coming from top .. down will produce best sound (with tuning of course) for gaming live.

Now of course when doing voice over in post (editing) I will have the microphone even with the mouth .. definitely.

I posted this because someone has bound to be 'bugged' by a big microphone in front of them while they play/do stuff on the screen(s) of their setup and figured out the best - or 'least annoying' way to position it and mount that Rode PSA1 arm possible. While other people having the mic right in front of their face doesn't bother them at all. I get it.. I do. I wish it didn't bug me.. but it does -- hell even the boom mic on this sennheiser headset was done in a massively glossy paint (rest of the headset is matte black) -- and that makes it flicker brightly in the light .. no kidding. So I didn't repaint or do anything drastic -- but I do keep it even with the chin or so to keep that thing reflecting out of my vision lol (yes I know that sounds anal -- and it's my first headset to ever reflect at all lol..).. But I digress...

If you have any ideas, have this setup or similar - I'd love to know as soon as possible, as I'll be setting this thing up in less than 24 hours.

TLDR: -- I have a Yeti USB Microphone with Radius II Shockmount - Pop Filter - and Rode PSA1 Arm mount arriving Monday/tomorrow. What is the best way to position all of this to keep it completely OUT of my line of sight (vision) yet still sound pretty good while gaming? [During voice over I will have it in front of me of course.] Thanks.

Reaction score
Generally speaking, as long as it's facing your mouth and not blocked by anything, you should be fine. For "facecam-esque" videos where I don't want the mic in the way I usually have it hanging above me (using a long enough mic stand) and I keep my head angled at least straightforward if not higher. A little EQ to add back the bass and a little compression to keep things steady and I think it turns out nice.

Since the mic isn't going to be close to your mouth at all the pop filter shouldn't be necessary, unless you blow directly toward it or something

Reactions: GuessTech

GuessTech

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Generally speaking, as long as it's facing your mouth and not blocked by anything, you should be fine. For "facecam-esque" videos where I don't want the mic in the way I usually have it hanging above me (using a long enough mic stand) and I keep my head angled at least straightforward if not higher. A little EQ to add back the bass and a little compression to keep things steady and I think it turns out nice.
Thanks for replying first..

Second -- Yeah,.. I have the PSA 1 Rode mic Arm (Decided against going with the cheaper ones that were like $20-$50 -- Some even were under $20 -- I was like hell no that won't hold the weight and will be a piece of well you know..

So I reviewed/researched the stands to death -- and the Rode PSA1 kept popping up over and over as the best stand for $100-$120 (depending on sales/where you buy etc). And was quality, no creeking, handled weight easily,.. rotated 360 degrees and EVERYTHING rotated on it with one finger as you'd 'hope for' with an arm stand like that -- So I haven't installed it yet (going to make an unboxing/review on it.. ) -- So it's still in the boxes

As I have the Mic and Arm now -- the Shock filter is coming later today now (a day later than rest) -- so I'm waiting on all of it for one video recording. Will probably just record footage with Canon and then use the new mic and setup to put the voice over on it.. works better that way for the shortest/to the point with good information/stats etc imho.

I will also use a few of my headsets to say (This is XYZ gaming headset and the way the mic sounds.. then switch over to new Condensor mic I have and say this is the Yeti Pro blah blah.. then back to another gaming headset..) -- To give people real honest ideas of how they compare and if it's worth it for THEIR needs to spend the money on something like that.

But anyhow - Yeah thanks for the EQ suggestion I do that with some footage if it's really weak on the lows and highs.. I have a great pre-set I made that makes a great base starting point for most footage I can tweak for MUCH better sound. I'm hoping I don't have to edit the audio with the Yeti Pro.. -- I have had the Yeti by itself (no stand etc) just the big a** thing in it's stand on my desk in front of me.. -- so I know what sounds bassy/good when I get right on it.. X inches away.. and being X feet away etc. So I have an idea of things roughly.

So I think probably having it mounted / clamped on my desk (it's a huge corner U shape desk -- with Main monitor and chair etc in middle of corner) just to right of my chair (like to right of corner where it straightens out) -- will be best spot. Then that gives it plenty of length and height on arm to go UP above my head and come down to forehead area (or maybe above head the whole time depending on if that makes me bump head or not) and see how that top down works for being out of sight and sounding good. If not.. I can try just to direct side of face.. maybe 8-12 inches away from mouth (but away from sight because of being to the right) -- I'd angle it in some way to get the best pickup.

WIth that setup I was thinking the 'reflections' of my voice coming off whatever is in front of me might be better to 'aim' to since I wouldn't be speaking in the direction of mic.

Though overall.. it will just be a try this.. try this.. try that.. try this etc.. (Trial and error) on positioning) until I find something that fits my "sight" criteria and still sounds good.

Since the mic isn't going to be close to your mouth at all the pop filter shouldn't be necessary, unless you blow directly toward it or something
Yup. I see a lot of people using pop filters on streams etc -- that have mic off to side.. or just not in FRONT of their mouth at all hehe.. and I'm like, you guys don't even really know how that works do you? :) -- I understand why people like that exist.. they are just like ok this is supposed to make things better.. I buy it. (And hey maybe they move mic in front of them for voice over stuff off camera). But pop filter is to reduce the P's and other such sounds when mic is right in front of mouth and relatively close -- just a 'filter' of sorts that's designed not to muffle sound. Like I've seen people get a tube sock and put on a Yeti for example and it's all muffled -- and I'm like nooo... hehe. Just buy a $5 - 10 dollar windscreen/shield/jacket if that's what you are after. :)