Need help with video quality settings

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Actually that brings up a very good point. Yes it happens on the same iPad that I run lumafusion on. When I use the YouTube app to view what I have uploaded after it is fully processed and become available in high definition of course, it will always default to a lower quality. Same thing with my Galaxy Note 10 plus. Same thing on my Dell laptop computer on a broadband connection at my work. Always my videos play in 360 or 480 right out of the gate unless I switched them to a higher quality manually, but any other video I click on usually plays in 1080 or better. I was kind of wondering if it might be that I do not have a YouTube subscription and I have exceeded what they will give storage wise for a freebie account? Don't know if that makes a difference or not but it has crossed my mind. I have even tried creating another YouTube account because I thought maybe being logged into my channel might be creating an issue. So I basically viewed my videos as if I were somebody else viewing them and the same issue occurs all the way around as to what I described above. I am baffled but I am tempted to pay the $10 a month for YouTube premium to see if it makes a difference
Okay. Now we are getting somewhere. If you are getting the same results, on different devices, and different connections, logical deduction say it must be your YT account. The question is, WHY? I have never hear of bandwidth limits for an account. There may be some setting buried deep in your account menus that I don't know about. I know you have done this, but have you tried adjusting your YT player setting to auto? Grasping at straws here.

Autoplay.jpg

Reactions: scottdduffy

scottdduffy

Reaction score
It looks like you are doing that from a PC / laptop. My phone app does not have an option to set the quality from the settings menu. My only access to quality settings in the mobile app is while a video is playing and I have two three dots at the top right. That is where I can select all different options ranging from 144 to 1080p. In other words I can only change quality settings within a video while it is playing not from a settings menu / dashboard Etc. I have also looked through settings on my laptop computer as well and I can't find a way to preset video qualities to default to 1080, other than while I am playing a specific video. Don't know if it's maybe the version of the YouTube app that I have on my mobile devices? My version on my android device is 15.09.36. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your trying to help me figure this out. I have spent hours Googling this subject and watching YouTube videos but none of tutorial videos I ever watch match the options slash settings page that I am looking at on my devices. Not sure what the disconnect or the difference is there

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

scottdduffy

Reaction score
I guess my concern is that if I wanted to ever do anything professional or semi-professional and I am uploading videos that when played by anyone Ellis automatically default to a low quality setting, then it would not come across very appealing to look at. I am just sort of learning my way through this

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I guess my concern is that if I wanted to ever do anything professional or semi-professional and I am uploading videos that when played by anyone Ellis automatically default to a low quality setting, then it would not come across very appealing to look at. I am just sort of learning my way through this
Well, I can solve that question. Send me a link to your channel and I will test it out on multiple devices to see how the initial play quality starts out at. This will tell us if it is just your account that has the problem, or if it affects everyone that views your videos.

It is always a pleasure to help others. So many people have helped me (and I am not always the easiest person to help), I need to pay it forward.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I tested six of your videos on my PC and got auto speeds up to 1080P. Each time I loaded a video, It started at a different speed, but my connection is not always stable because I live way out in the country and get my internet via WiMax. But since I did get varying results, it tells us that there is no setting that is restricting video playback speed to your viewers. So the issue is only with your viewer's account. I would contact Youtube about it. It might be something only they can fix.

scottdduffy

Reaction score
Thanks so much! Interestingly enough, I tried pasting the link to my channel into chrome address bar (m.youtube.com) and all my videos play at 1080 first try, but I then immediately opened my android youtube app and they all start in 480. Beats me!! It's all good though, I may contact youtube down the road just because I am one of those people that is driven crazy by idiosyncrasies . I really appreciate your time though!