Need help with commentary

Josh Rainford

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

New to the whole youtube video scene and I have my gaming channel up and running now.

I've managed to do a few different edits of a game I play, one that i was kinda happy with so uploaded to YT.

I have come to try and do a commentary over one of my games and I am really struggling.

1. I feel like a fool talking to myself
  2. I keep stuttering and going ummm, ermmm instead of being fluent commentary
Has anyone got any tips of how to go about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Josh

PopsLetsPlay

UBER Gamer
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
The only tip I can give is to keep doing it. You will get more comfortable with time, trust me. Everyone has this issue lol. Go check some of my earlier videos out, or any other gaming youtubers early videos out (if they haven't deleted them out of cringe)

Practice makes perfect :crown:

TheSGGamingChannel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just be yourself man. If there's anything I truly dislike is when I hear let's players forcing it. Even if I hear a couple moments of silence, I'd rather you just be yourself. If you're calm, cool, and collected, don't try to act crazy or something like that.

You'll get it man; I've been doing LPs for probably around 4 years or so. The more you do it, the more you'll see where you fit in the extremely large landscape of Let's Players. Also, one big piece of advice, only play games you want to play because believe me, playing games only because they're 'popular' won't get you anything if you are bored af.

Josh Rainford

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the tips guys!

appreciated, going to give it another go tonight and see how i get on.

Yeah i deffo wont be playing any games that i am not interested in, otherwise i wont feel like making a video about it haha.

Rita-Marie Hartford

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Name your camera after someone, or treat it as your best friend. What would you say to your best friend or your closest friends! I put something near the lens of my camera so I can have my eyes catch that instead of watching myself being filmed and such. There are so many videos on youtube that really touch on this.

Reactions: Ralph Mickey

Reetae27

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah, more than anything, authenticity sells. Even if you don't have anything to say in the moment, it's better to have real, genuine dead air for a brief period of time where you're being yourself, than to pretend to feel something/put on an act, because most people can see through that sort of thing, and more than anything, YOU'LL see through it when you re-watch it.

To mirror what other people say/have said here: practice makes perfect. If you keep practicing at it, you'll be able to look back at your old stuff and be like, "Holy crap, I'm so much better at this than I used to be." One thing that might help, and I know this sounds weird in the abstract: try providing commentary to yourself when you're just playing video games without being record, that way it'll stretch out your improvisational muscles and you won't just be improving solely when you're making videos.

Good luck!

Josh Rainford

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the tips guys! :) i shall make sure that i keep them all in mind!

Reactions: Reetae27