Need help with a specific editing idea

Total Maher

Hi everyone!

Hope you're all having a great day!

Below I have attached some photos. What type of editing is that and what software should I use to combine two eras of photos? Bit of a newbie.

Thank you all!

742907_20150503135259.jpg image1.JPG image3.JPG

First layer should be the colored photo
then you open the black & white photo and drag it on top of first layer
Place it where you want it to be then you pick the eraser tool where the edges are soft (not hard)
and basically erase some of the black and white layer which will bring out the colored photo.

Gimp or Photoshop basically.

Place it where you want it to be then you pick the eraser tool where the edges are soft (not hard)
and basically erase some of the black and white layer which will bring out the colored photo.

Hmm i wish it were that simple i mean to my eyes at least the photo placement looks a little advance, not as if someone just dragged and dropped especially the second one, but the photos look like they have to be almost identical to work, sorry i didnt answer how do you do it, but i would assume it was done in photoshop

Hmm i wish it were that simple i mean to my eyes at least the photo placement looks a little advance, not as if someone just dragged and dropped especially the second one, but the photos look like they have to be almost identical to work, sorry i didnt answer how do you do it, but i would assume it was done in photoshop
Yeah I think you have to be good at placing it in the correct spot.

Thank you for replying.

How would I go about doing it over video footage instead of a normal photo?

If you're thinking about using video footage of aged footage with modern day footage...it's not going to be possible unless you're in the exact shot and it's tripod shot.

If you do however have a static video shot of (for example) your house, then you can frame the modern day footage to mimic it. Best bet would be to get a small print out, the same size as a viewfinder of the old shot and match it up.

The alternative would be to film one shot, then digitally manipulate the shot with 3D effects, composition, VFX elements and all that. A lot of effort.

Back