need help picking a good video making laptop.

Grovertigo

Reaction score
alright, so soon will be the launch of my new youtube channel. it just so happens that right now is also the time I'm in the market for a video camera and a laptop.

now I'm not asking for "what's the best" I understand that its different strokes for different folks. I'm simply hoping that the different advantages of different computers/cameras could be highlighted for me with the perspective of effectiveness for producing quality videos. obviously the capacity for good video editing is important but I'm sure there are other factors I'm not considering.

I have around a lot already and I've seen specs, but it's unclear to me how they all fit together with the paradigm of video production in mind. as you can probably tell. I don't everything about computers, I might need some more simpler terms for now.

what are my options?
what are benefits and tradeoffs of each.

assistance would be greatly appreciated. even if you just go off the knowledge off the top of your head I will be grateful for it.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
You will spend twice as much on a mac laptop as a windows laptop with the same level of performance. Unless you have another reason to go with mac, I'd steer clear.

Grovertigo

Reaction score
well alrighty than.

are you saying it doesnt matter between the pc brands?

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Honestly, not very much. They pretty well all use circuit boards manufactured in the same set of factories in China, they all use either Intel or AMD CPU's and either ATI, nVidia or Intel graphics cards. You will find some very opinionated people who boycott manufacturers based on a single bad experience but that isn't statistically relevant. You will pay more for brands like the Sony Vaio, Asus or Alienware laptops as well as the Dell XPS line. Apple is designed at a premium price point for every product they make.

The issue has more to do with what exactly do you want the laptop to be capable of, than who makes it. You can buy a 3-400 dollar laptop that will be fine for vlogs recorded via either the internal webcam or a better usb attached one, but won't have the power needed to do screen capture of video games. Depends on what you want and how much money is available.

Grovertigo

Reaction score
okay so, I can definitely rule out good game footage as something needed. never had a need for alienware graphics or anything like that. at the very least it won't be the focus. maybe a clip or so. I don't intend to be a vlogger but that's not to say there won't be videos with a good focus on my face. but there will also be movies with more demanding video production needs. mostly all real life/live action footage though. I would try and make it the best quality I can visually. does this sort of description still require a good graphics card? if that's what it takes for professional quality than I'm on board but I've always associated graphics with simply gaming footage.

I still want a quality laptop in general. this will be the ONLY computer that I use. I have other factors in mind, but my video work will certainly be one of the top priority ones, beyond the basic specs of a laptop that make it generally good, which I also need. i don't want a one-trick pony. I'm willing to pay what I need to get the best laptop out there for me. i just also know that some brands make laptops with different users in mind, and that's usually the idea that is cited hen the question is asked "whats the best laptop?" I was under the impression that this was one of the categories

also, what about cameras? this is obviously a simpler matter as when buying this I won't need to consider other things besides my video making experience.but I'm still not sure if thee have been recommendations for good cameras for certain types of videos.

I plan for my videos to have a lot of variety, so don't be afraid to mention different types of models that offer different things. they will all probably be helpful. any info is valuable.

Grovertigo

Reaction score

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
That laptop is a mid-range gaming machine. It will most certainly handle doing what you've said you want to do. I would strongly recommend going into a store somewhere and looking at a 15 inch laptop though. 15 inch display is not terribly large. It's not the smallest either, but make sure it's one you can do work on long term. It may be of some value to get a stand alone LCD for your desk at home that you can plug into the laptop for more serious sessions editing.

Long and short, it's a great machine. And while if you pick it up now, you will be buying far more machine than you need, it will stave off the need to upgrade for much longer than a $4-500 machine would.

And just to validate my earlier point about staying away from Apple. Here is the comparable 15inch Apple laptop.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select
  • Macbook Pro
  • 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
  • 4GB 1600MHz memory
  • 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
  • Built-in battery (7 hours)2
Processor is slightly faster on the Macbook. The video card is faster but with less RAM. Harddrive is slower and smaller, and it has 2GB less system RAM. This Macbook is $1800
Even if you don't get that Asus, make sure of a couple of items. You want no less than 4GB of RAM, and your hard drive MUST be 7200RPM. Those two elements are huge in video production.

Now, that said I would suggest some more shopping around. Look at Lenovo, Dell, HP for comparable machines. You may find a better price or better hardware for the same price. :)

Shlanga

Reaction score
Hey! Can anyone knowledgeable look at this LAPTOP set-up as well? I need this for my video editing/bit of gaming for about a year from now. Will that be enough, just on the edge, or poor for editing and some gaming on a laptop?

- The 17.3" Optimus II
- Intel® Quad Core™ i7-2760QM 2.4GHz 6MB Cache
- 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
- 2GB DDR3 GeForce® GT 555M DX11
- 120GB SSD Intel 330 Series (6 GB/s, upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
- 750GB MOMENTUS XT HYBRID Seagate Momentum, SATA 6GB/s, 32MB Cache (7200RPM)

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Jimi Lee

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've had chance to test several laptops for some higher graphic needs (renderings, animation, modeling etc.), So far, i am mostly satisfied with
HP EliteBook 8570p Notebook PC with 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor.
As u have advices from above, for Ur case, I would still avoid Apple product, Although it has as well great advatages!

CAMERA:
- I don't know what's ur budget, but, Canon 5D mark 2 or Mark 3 (50mm lens advised), are already been used for professional takes in TV industry! However, if u wanna have some slow motion effects, u cannot get it with it, cause they are still not able to do 60fps. But, for pure image quality, u will not regret!

Of course, depends what u wanna do, but, in my case, CANON 5D actually boost me with my activities and in short time I get extra equipment (stands, tripods, lights), later... end up by getting a first video job! in 3 months from being total amateur!