Need advice. There’s a large multi million follower Facebook network that...

RT Hobbies

Reaction score
wants to use my content. I think I made the mistake the first time a had a request from an organization like this and just let them use it for free. They completely chopped up my work making it into their own video, which technically I said they could, and ended up getting 10s of thousands of likes etc because their Facebook page is so large. This, I noticed, even though they credited me for the original content did not transition into much of a subscriber boost for me. They, however, I soon realized are making a LOT of money off me and my content on their page due to their giant audience.

So now I have another “social media network” they call themselves with 11million followers on their one page that my stuff will most likely be posted on asking to use my stuff again. I know I need to charge these guys, because I pour my blood, sweat and life into my videos and then it’s not cool they just get to casually repost and make a killing off my hard work.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I really have no idea how to properly set up a contract etc stating what they can and can’t do with the content, and what licensing it to them entails etc etc. And I don’t know what I should be charging them. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated as this is really new territory for me. Thanks!

Neil

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the networks / monetization forum. :)

You could reply asking them to make you an offer and see what they reply with. But they probably have no intention of paying you anything and are asking for permission to cover their asses. ^^

RT Hobbies

Reaction score
Right, however their intent is to profit from it and build their platform. Just asking sounds like a good idea. Might give that a go and see what they say.

RT Hobbies

Reaction score
This is the email I sent back to them for anyone interested and may come across this. I’ll post what their response is if I receive one.

Hi there. I am interested and would like to let you use my content and am flattered you would like to use it on your platform. I put a lot of time and effort into my content and it is a lot of hard work. I’ve given permission before to a social media network of your size and it usually doesn’t translate to much growth for me and my audience.

Having said that I know with an audience your size the ad revenue that you would bring in from my content is quite substantial. Would you be willing to help me and the work I put into my channel by compensating monetarily towards it for each video you would use? If you would, that would be a huge help to me and the business I am trying to grow, and would be put towards creating more and higher quality content for the future. Thanks very much and I look forward to collaborating with you.

Reactions: Crown

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Personally... I don't think you should ask "Would you be willing to help" since you are giving them the option not to do it, hopefully they are nice.
If it was me, I would start searching for Facebook guidelines about copyright and see if there's any way to strike them.
I'M NOT SAYING you will strike them, I'm just saying that research and knowledge are the best things you have to earn something.

Treat it as a business, instead of asking would you help me... give them options, give them the exclusivity of your content for a fair price. If that's a good amount of their revenue they will say yes. If not just look for another client (the other network) and ask them how much are willing to pay. If you close a deal you can make a contract and tell the first guys that they are violating copyright laws and that they should stop using it.

As long are you are getting paid you should not care if those two fight between them :) and if nobody has the exclusivity you can even search for more networks and sell your videos.

What price you may asking? Google and study CPM, see what YouTube is offering and what Facebook is paying.