Need advice on animation, as I am a complete newbie.

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Okay, this might sound a bit crazy, but I want to produce a 40-second anime intro for my channel, and I want it to look good, even though I have no previous experience in drawing or animation. I want to know if you guys know any good videos on drawing tutorials, animation tutorials, and if anyone here has attempted something similar, how long did it take? I've calculated that the actual animation would take 300 hours to make, but I don't really know, because as I said, I am a complete newbie. Any advice is appreciated! Also, I am currently learning on Krita how to draw, but have been considering switching over to Photoshop or Adobe Animate, what do you think?

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
a 40-second anime intro
Firstly 40 seconds would be waaay too long. I would keep it around 10. And making 10 seconds of animation is going to take you a lot of hours.

If you want to have an animation that actually looks slick and good, you basically have to hire someone. There are a LOT of amateur animators on Youtube and Deviantart. I would scout one out that has a style you like and approach that person with a offer. They are NOT going to do this for free! Ten seconds of animations, colored and shaded, can take anywhere between 3 and 6 hours to create. Pay them at least minimum wage for the hours they put in. The more static the images are that you want, the easier and quicker the animation can be made.

If you do want to try it yourself first, search Youtube for 'animation tutorial', you'll find hundreds. But you do need the right software for it, plus knowledge about the 12 principles of animation would certainly help you.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Hiya! Animator here,
(havent posted in that long that this site looks so different now haha)

anyway 40 seconds as Dutchie says, is just so long to sit through for an audience. and you'd be surprised at how much you can show in a much smaller time.

look at game theory.

I really like their intro and it's what I'd consider one of the longer ones, and thats 20 seconds long.

as for animation it depends on what framerate your animating at too.

30fps animating in 1s would mean 30 drawings for 1 second
30fps animating at 2s (what I usually do) would be 15 drawings for 1 second.

personally I'd really not recommend shading unless your movement is very minor because remember every single brush stroke has to be redone thousands of times. it all adds up.

I'd recommend Draw with jazza, as he's a great animator and is a perfect place to start if you want to learn from the very beginning.

but thats just my input!

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks, and this isn't an intro I would use at the beginning of every video, I would pry use it as a channel trailer. I was going to try and make a full-length anime intro, which is 1min and 30secs, but I found a song I like that would allow me to reduce it to around 40 seconds if I mess around with the song in adobe audition. I will check out Jazza, I've heard a bit about him, and if you are recommending him, then he must be good XD. Thank you!