'Nash Grier' Controversy

Slowlist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director
I don't get this at all. Stealing money and being a c**t is an act of submission?
These are results of submission not the act of submission. Teach women not to go for the high paying ( or discourage with lower pay and other discrimination) which causes some women to be "home makers" which is why the custody thing happens. As for the divorce thing, I agree sometimes the men get screwed, if the man was rich before he got married why split the money? But if people were seen as equals to begin with, there wouldn't be husband & wife, just life partners. When we assign gender roles inequities happen. There are successful minorities, doesn't mean they don't lack power / equality as a whole.

Reactions: mycharliequinn

Lilikoi Juice

I do all my own graphics!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
Naw. If you're talking about in terms of company power (i.e. CEOs, Chairmans, etc.) that's because more men actually work to get there. If a man's power is working dangerous jobs, getting taken to the cleaners during divorce, and hardly ever getting custody of your child, I don't want it.
That's one way to see what the differences are but it seems to me like a shallow way of examining it.
I think what Slowist was referring to was the "general" or social consensus of power differences; that men are more powerful than women.

Reactions: Slowlist

Lilikoi Juice

Reaction score
Channel Type
These are results of submission not the act of submission. Teach women not to go for the high paying ( or discourage with lower pay and other discrimination) which causes some women to be "home makers" which is why the custody thing happens. As for the divorce thing, I agree sometimes the men get screwed, if the man was rich before he got married why split the money? But if people were seen as equals to begin with, there wouldn't be husband & wife, just life partners. When we assign gender roles inequities happen. There are successful minorities, doesn't mean they don't lack power / equality as a whole.
Very true. What is interesting is what happens when you try to break the cycle of "submission" or gender roles.

A woman working extra hard to advance her career or a stay-at-home father and a bread-winner mother.

I feel it happens less now days, but socially or culturally-speaking, it is not highly regarded. I think it will still be some years before the boundaries of traditional gender roles are brought down. Afterall, a decades year or so back male nurses were almost unheard of.

Gender roles, though, are one thing, and gender value (as in payscale and such) are another. A completely different topic on its own! :geek2:

MegaBoringGuy

Biggest Painted On Muscles You've Ever Seen, Baby
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How are women taught not to go for higher jobs? I hear nothing but "Help girls' self esteem", "You go girl", etc. on TV. How society is set up makes it very common for both parents to be working, because you can't afford everything on one salary. I agree with your last part, though.

Lilikoi Juice

Reaction score
Channel Type
I think a video by a YouTuber called Savannah Brown went viral and it was sort of a counter video I think, you can watch it here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSHnnPunShg EDIT: Changed so it appears as link instead of video.
It is so pathetically hilarious how people are bashing her because she is only 17 years old.

Clearly, they have missed the point of the video and the message in her poem...

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
It is so pathetically hilarious how people are bashing her because she is only 17 years old.
Clearly, they have missed the point of the video and the message in her poem...
Yeah, that's society sadly and yet she already seems more mature than most of the people out there.

Reactions: Lilikoi Juice

Lilikoi Juice

Reaction score
Channel Type
Oh, oh, since we are all talking about gender, for some reason, haha... I wanted to bring up this film called North Country. It has gotten lots of criticism.

Anywho, let us talk about how this film was set in 1984. Not 1964. Not 1944. Only 30 years ago (maybe some of our mothers were young girls back then).

Even in the 1980s, when some of us were just born, it was still common to hear of women getting sexually harassed at the work place; even more so if you were working in a position commonly filled by men (which was the case in the film). It was not unheard of for women to be encouraged to take on simpler, easier positions to avoid any harassment, even though it meant taking on less pay. This was something that was portrayed in the film, so I thought I would bring it as an example to talk on gender submission.

To add, the scenario in the film presented several situations where the women had to be submissive toward the men (even though they were not presented in the same work role) lest they suffer from retaliation from the entire group.

How are women taught not to go for higher jobs? I hear nothing but "Help girls' self esteem", "You go girl", etc. on TV. How society is set up makes it very common for both parents to be working, because you can't afford everything on one salary. I agree with your last part, though.
To answer your first question, statistically speaking women are generally (generally now) less aggressive than men in the work force. For example, they are statistically less likely to argue their salary and take on tasks that require more work (like supervisory roles). There are several theories for this but the most common one is the mindset to settle for less/what is available. Women working outside the house and supporting the family is common now, but you also have to take into consideration things like the gender barrier, gender role (obligations) etc.

This is beginning to be less common, especially for people who are from this generation. Generation X (from the 1950-80s) are the main pool of people who are working right now and they have a different mindset (more gender-oriented) than Generation Y (us)? Change will not come as fast as we hope since they still saturate the work pool now. Women today are now taught to get an education and work hard to advance themselves. A couple decades ago was quite different.

I think a course in gender and politics or gender and society might be of interest to you. As boring as it sounds, it's really interesting and most courses help you examine the roots of all gender issues or "gendergraphing" as my professor like to call it. And this is both male and female (and others). The modern perception on gender is fairly new; and the "GO GIRL" concept you are referring to was not something you heard, until a couple decades ago--maybe less. But then again, who wants to go out of their way to learn about boring stuff, except for people like me, haha.

Last edited:

kkushalbeatzz

The original, diabolical, kkushalbeatzz
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm not a fan. A lot of what he said was peesonal preference, but some of what he said was legitimatly sexist. Anyway immature kid making videos is immature.