My Thoughts on Growing on YouTube

Boki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Hey guys. :)
My channel started to grow A LOT in the past week. I've made a profile here a couple of months after starting my YT channel, and some of the advice here was simply stellar. I've seen people make their guides on how to succeed on YouTube, so I wanted to make some of my comments as well.

Before I start, I want to make a big caveat - I have my Bible Illustrated project which ensured that I had a head start. A lot of people here struggle to reach 100 subscribers; my BI project let me get those very fast. However, I wouldn't grow without these others pieces of advice I have. With that in mind, let us begin! :)

In the case of ''too long, didn't read'', go for 2 and 5 (especially 5), those the most important ones.

1. There is a lot of general advice I can nod to: have consistent channel art, reply to all the comments. That is why branding is so important - you need good channel name and catchy art.
  2. Regarding upload schedule: quality always trumps quantity when it comes to YouTube. I had pumped so many videos in order to amp up the watch time. That may be fine for some channels. While it hasn't done any real damage to me per se, it did drain my time and energy that I could have used more productively. These days I get 50-80 subs a day based on one single video. None of the videos I did solely for the sake of uploading or watch time ever got big.
  3. As for your content, there will always be the eternal struggle between what you want to make vs. what people want to see. Your channel needs both, and if you can combine both, that is awesome. Focus too much on what you want, and you won't get audience. Focus too much on what people want to see, and you'll burn out.
  4. Don't have ideas for a video? Video ideas are all around you. Always have a notepad on you (or, like me, access to GoogleDocs or similar app) where you can jot down ideas for your videos. Think about the thing you talk and joke about with your friends and ideas will pop up.
  5. Best way for low key promotion (which is usually what most small channels need) is to comment on literally every video you watch. I have made a separate mini-guide on how I do this below.
  6. You have to make your video about you in some shape or form. Otherwise, getting a following will be extremely hard to do.
  7. Your voice is fine. Narration is something you have to deal with.
  8. A good microphone is always a good investment. For the most part, a reasonable smartphone with Reduce Noise Reduction in Audacity will do just fine until you get something better.
  9. As for niches, you have to make what you do unique (see 6). However, some niches are especially problematic. For example, if all you do is vlogs, you need to be crazy charismatic to succeed, and even then, you may not get very far. If you ever want to make vlogs, save those for later, when you get a following who'll be interested in you. Regarding gaming channels, focusing on one game will bite you in the a** one day (this is problematic since focusing on one game offers very tempting, if short lived, benefits). Always branch out with gaming.
  10. Never make content that's too diversified (I know a super charismatic guy who never got far because he makes song covers, vlogs and fish tank reviews). If you ever think that your content is too diversified, start a new channel.
  11. Follow the trends and see what are people searching for. Is there some world event, some relevant YT drama onto which you can latch on? Look up for trends on Google, those can be a lifesaver.

Commenting Every Video You Watch Instruction List:
  1. Unless you have some major ways of showcasing your channel outside of YouTube, comments on YT are the primary way people will be exposed to your channel.
  2. Comment on literally every video you watch (the exceptions to this are listed below).
  3. Make your comment relevant to the video and, if at all possible, make it witty. You want to get a large number of thumbs up.
  4. Don't comment on videos you don't want to be associated with even if you like watching them.
  5. Don't ever, ever reference your channel or your content within your comment unless it's super relevant to the video you're watching. This would make your comment an underhanded sub4sub (even if it's without '4sub' part). Especially never post links to your videos unless, again, it's very, very relevant to the topic at hand (and even then consider not doing it).
  6. Don't comment if you don't have anything special to say; don't comment for the sake of commenting. It is spammy!
  7. Don't comment if you haven't watched the whole video. It is disingenuous to both you and the content creator. Show the content creator common courtesy of watching their video whole.
  8. Comments you want to avoid: 'First!' 'I was about to go to bed when ____ posts a video!' or any sort of 'comment template' that can be applied to literally any video and creator.
  9. Timing of the comments is important (it is a good thing to have the comment in place as soon as video is up), but this generally clashes with 7). If you absolutely must post something that's good, witty and relevant before the video ends, still watch the whole thing.
  10. Don't think you have the humor or witness required for a good comment? Learn from the best, check out what people upvote. I'm not saying to copy comments, that's always a bad practice, but it will get those humor juices in your brain flowing. If still at loss, quote part of the video that was especially finny and/or cringy (provided no one else has done this before you, of course).
  11. This list assumes you comment on videos that you're interested watching in the first place.
  12. Finally, whenever you get the much coveted 'X has subscribed to you on YouTube!' mails, go and see what channels are they subscribed to. Odds are that you'll see one of the channels where you made good, witty, relevant comments.

Well, that's it guys, I hope some of this is useful to someone. :)

Last edited:

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think this is one of the best posts we have seen for a while:up2: your tips, tricks and thoughts are amazing:) You are doing such a great job on your channel and you deserve this succes dude:up2: thanks a million for this inspiring post I am 100% sure motivates a lot here on this forum:) Thanks man

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good write up - Following this will certainly help people out.

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is a great guide that I think everyone starting out should visit.

Every point is spot on. The ones I would stress from my experience is quality, engagement (including the video comments), and focus.

Another point I would add (hinted with the microphone) is investment. What tools would make your videos easier to do and look more professional? Whether it be hardware or software, find out what others are using to help them. Don't drop all your money on new stuff right away, but make a list and shop smartly. Some of the most impactful changes for me were relatively cheap. Microphone is a must, as well as good lighting. I thought my webcam sucked, but I bought a ring light and it looks like a totally different camera. Together this was less than $200, but check for deals or people that have upgraded and are giving their stuff away. Promotion is another topic but point is you WILL have to spend money. Better to plan it out.

Reactions: Questionable Ole

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
In the case of ''too long, didn't read'', go for 2 and 5
Eh... That was said by a person dealing and apparently reading the whole Bible!? :D :p just joking. Thank you for assembling this post. Although i believe in trial and error, you made a really good guide here :)

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I always wondered how much commenting on other videos helped and kept going on and off of doing it, but I think I'll force myself to go back. Someone else had pointed out that Youtube is basically the best way to advertise on Youtube, with comments being similar to a forum, so I shall resume this practice. I spend way too much time watching videos anyway, might as well use that!

Reactions: Michael Linson

Iron-Will

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ooh, awesome tips here - thank you!

I've been commenting erratically, but given the size of my niche, I'll definitely try to comment more often (the comment pools on videos in my niche aren't too big, so plenty of room for exposure for my comments).

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
Wow that's a pretty good list. Making notes here. Thanks for sharing and congratulations moving to the next level.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk