My old dead gaming channel vs my offorad/moto vlog channel

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I know, I typed a whole essay, but who knows! Might help a person starting out!

So I am starting to see a few differences. not sure if anyone will read any of this but I have discovered some differences; yet along I am a tiny tiny youtuber, but I do see differences between the 2 channels.

I once had a gaming channel, which I got burned out on..obviously gaming is fun but for some reason was not my passion and was not fun recording. Felt like work. Motovlogging and offroading go hand in hand with filming and its actually fun! I also always been making videos of me offroading even though I never thought of youtube. So that is one thing I have noticed, is its fun in it only difference is I am uploading it to youtube now ha ha.

So on my gaming channel, I noticed I would get a lot of comments...great channel come check mine out. or hey want to support ea others channel? sure! I would sub to them and they would sub to me...I guess we can call it sub4sub lol. sure I had about 400 - 500 subs but my views were about 30 - 100 and would stay stuck there. I knew my video will never be found in search and these people who would say "great channel check mine out" was slowly destroying ea others channel. anyhow, 4 to 5 months in, views would never change on the older videos...onces that were 1 or 2 months old. they would just stay stuck on 50 - 100 views. Not to mention retention time was about 30 seconds....LOL go figure!! THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME IT TAKES FOR SOMEONE TO COMMENT! But I did not know better.

So I gave up on the channel, didnt really care for recording gaming...I still game everyday but recording it was not my thing. was not fun. I dont care about the money bc I make plenty of it (not trying to sound like a cocky a-hole. Now comes offroading! yet I am still recording offroading and its just fun watching myself and sharing the views and things I find on the trails! Now been doing it for 3 months (uploading to youtube) and definitely is something I find fun and joy in...I always have. This time, I dont respond to people who stop by channel with comments hoping it will lure me to them nor dont I look for "hey come check my channel out"

I prob have 2 or 3 in a loop but I do like watching them. 1 of them being irl I know and dirtbike with.
so here are something I have noticed. My views definitely go up over time. even some of my videos are reaching 300 views within 2 months, so that means its popping out somewhere unlike my gaming video. My retention time is pretty high! most people watch my video 50% of the entire length and most of these are from strangers. seems "most" of my videos will pass 100 views on its own within a week. My gaming channel would get 50 60 views but would never move. sure I had a lot of comments and likes, but I believe youtube registered them as "fake"

in my gaming channel it was funny, I would get 10 - 15 comments 20+ likes while on my offroad moto vlog channel, I get maybe 2 or 3 comments and 6 or 7 likes, but they are genuine, but my watch time is high and views will continue to rise, say in 2 months. not all, but most. kind of shows your proof these fake people getting on your channel for them to hope you check them out and subscribe kills your channel.

It is nice to know some of my videos average now 150 - 300 views within a few months vs my gaming channel would be stuck at 50 - 100 views ALL the time. the gaming channel views would just be from the fake subs just leaving a quick comment so I can go to their channel and comment back and just cycle this with 200 other fake people. and almost all of these people involved in this chain was in the same boat. 200 - 1000 subs with 50 - 100 views.

Just hope this can help someone starting out. Sure I am not large and I am tiny, but I do see the differences between the 2! in 2nd thought...I would actually consider myself to hit 100 views in my gaming channel. So in my offroading channel, I dont go to small youtubers channel and comment hoping they come to my channel and sub nor do I go around asking people to check my channel. and any comment where I feel its like a bait, I report as spam now. Probably the only difference between the two, as far as action goes

So over all to make this short, the main tthing I have noticed was long term views. So in my offroad channel, I would post a video and I would get 20 - 30 views in the first week. but notice even after weeks pass, the views keep going up. So that means its being recommended to people and somehow people are finding them its a slow but steady view growth. Now my gaming channel, I would get an instant 50 - 70 views maybe a 100 if I am lucky with about...400 - 500 subs? dont remember. sure it was quick, but 4 months in, numbers will be the same.

hopefully all of this makes sense!

Last edited:

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Cool experience! I have noticed with automotive/motorcycle and other similar genres retention is usually super high. People are actually interested in what you are doing! Gaming and some other more popular genres are full of people on Youtube trying to become monetized.

Have you been posting your videos to reddit, or any other forums?

I also just looked at your channel, nice job, but I think your titles may be too "click baity" for your target audience. Most people that are into powersports are very weary of clickbait, and it may be why your video views are stuck below 100. I do not have as many videos as you but most of my videos have at least 100 views. I am cautious about how I title my videos, and try to be very clear as to what I am doing in them. I am not sure if this will help, and I am just a small channel as well so I may be totally off, but I wanted to share that observation. Not criticizing at all, just trying to help

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Very clear negative effect of sub4sub. Thanks for sharing your experience with it, there are still a lot of people who need to learn that just trying to get subs isn't going to help you. It is about the actual engagement and watch time.
It seems like you're having a good timing making your videos and that's the most important thing :)

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Very clear negative effect of sub4sub. Thanks for sharing your experience with it, there are still a lot of people who need to learn that just trying to get subs isn't going to help you. It is about the actual engagement and watch time.
It seems like you're having a good timing making your videos and that's the most important thing :)
is sub4sub still a thing? I have never had someone comment that on my videos

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Cool experience! I have noticed with automotive/motorcycle and other similar genres retention is usually super high. People are actually interested in what you are doing! Gaming and some other more popular genres are full of people on Youtube trying to become monetized.

Have you been posting your videos to reddit, or any other forums?

I also just looked at your channel, nice job, but I think your titles may be too "click baity" for your target audience. Most people that are into powersports are very weary of clickbait, and it may be why your video views are stuck below 100. I do not have as many videos as you but most of my videos have at least 100 views. I am cautious about how I title my videos, and try to be very clear as to what I am doing in them. I am not sure if this will help, and I am just a small channel as well so I may be totally off, but I wanted to share that observation. Not criticizing at all, just trying to help

that is true! moto stuff is a different type of fan. and yeah gaming seems most people tend to just lure other people in hopping to sub 4 sub or check their channel

as far as being below 100 views, that was my gaming channel not my moto offroad channel

i was trying to say, I would be considered lucky if I ever got to 100 views on my gaming channel. but my moto channel hits 100 views over time. most of my videos are over 100 views after a month or 2. some even reaching 300 views. something i never saw on my gaming channel

[DOUBLEPOST=1549469251,1549469069][/DOUBLEPOST]
is sub4sub still a thing? I have never had someone comment that on my videos
lol yup....occasionaly i get 1 or 2 comments "awesome video check my channel"....or that bait type of comment "great clip" hoping to check their channel i usually report as spam

my gaming channel was all the time but a lot less on my moto channel

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
that is true! moto stuff is a different type of fan. and yeah gaming seems most people tend to just lure other people in hopping to sub 4 sub or check their channel

as far as being below 100 views, that was my gaming channel not my moto offroad channel

i was trying to say, I would be considered lucky if I ever got to 100 views on my gaming channel. but my moto channel hits 100 views over time. most of my videos are over 100 views after a month or 2. some even reaching 300 views. something i never saw on my gaming channel
Ah, and I think there is still an issue with view counts being inaccurate on Youtube vs your analytics page. I have that issue too.

Do you have an instagram? I think you could do really well on there as well

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Ah, and I think there is still an issue with view counts being inaccurate on Youtube vs your analytics page. I have that issue too.

Do you have an instagram? I think you could do really well on there as well

oh dang have not checked the analytics page. just checked it now wow seems it hasnt been updated

ah yeah I do have instagram but im pretty lazy with it...mostly because of the snow so I havent been riding much!

like I checked can the cb500x offroad, video views show close to 300 and analytics show 114. wonder why that is

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
oh dang have not checked the analytics page. just checked it and shows 341 for the bat video while video manager shows 301 haha weird!

ah yeah I do have instagram but im pretty lazy with it...mostly because of the snow so I havent been riding much!
It is weird, and if you are on a roku or smart tv its a different number! I find that IG is a good way to promote videos as well especially if you have a good follower base

Alvamated

Reaction score
You just earned yourself a new sub man! I love these type of videos a lot!:bounce: