My Journey (Posted here 5 years ago)

Reaction score
First I hope I put this in the right place, if not please move. :)

So I've been doing Youtube for 8 years in April. About 5 years ago, I joined this forum in hopes of gaining new viewers. My MAIN hope was to gain viewers who would stay viewers. I thought I would tell you my journey and mind frame through those 5 years.

So the main thing that I wanted was to build a community. I didn't want just views, I wanted conversations, I wanted interactions. Joining this forum I met a few people and we subbed to each other because we seemed to enjoy each others content. Of course some I never heard from again, but a few people believe it or not we still comment on each others channels today. My mind frame back then is the same as it is now. I want to make videos I enjoy in hopes that others would as well.

Through the 5 years of being here and venturing out on my own, I did fairly decent. I gained quite a bit of views and gained a following. (Mainly wrestling fans). THIS was my problem though believe it or not. I didn't want to be JUST a wrestling channel. I wanted people to enjoy all my content and it just didn't work out like that. So like anyone else, I posted more wrestling content to please people and it felt good to be doing so well. Let me say it again, this was my problem. I did so much of one type of videos that I didn't necessarily want to do that I was just burnt out. I didn't want to put up videos anymore. I didn't want to edit them. Not for 5 views and not even for 15,000 views. I was just DONE.

I kept the channel though...and I kept throwing a video or two out every once in awhile. My wrestling videos faded a bit. Recently I made up my mind. I would stop being so professional and just do what I wanna make or I would quit. So I did just that. I changed my channels name firstly because I wanted it to be more personal and my last name sounded like a compan. I didn't QUIT wrestling videos, but I only do them when I feel inspired to. I started breaking out and doing other videos and putting effort into those without worrying about the views. I of course am starting from square one again almost. The retention and viewership for non-wrestling videos are very low.

My point to all of this is simply this, in my 5 years between joining this forum and now I can honestly say this. Make content you enjoy. Make content you'll be happy with 5 years from now. Don't look at the big channels and think "oh they're doing this, I better too". Do what feels good. Enjoy the journey. I still got a lot left too and so do you. Keep at it!

Reactions: AllVisuals4U

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I totally agree. You have to make it all about something you love and are passionate about... otherwise, it'd be near impossible to stick with it over time. I see people, here and elsewhere, say that they want to start up on Youtube and then they ask people for ideas on what their channel should be about. That always makes me think "What? You haven't started yet and you're already out of ideas?" haha It has to be about your interests and not trying to cater to something you don't necessarily care about. Okay, I got a little off topic from your original post, but the basic idea is the same.

Vladdy

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I totally agree. You have to make it all about something you love and are passionate about... otherwise, it'd be near impossible to stick with it over time. I see people, here and elsewhere, say that they want to start up on Youtube and then they ask people for ideas on what their channel should be about. That always makes me think "What? You haven't started yet and you're already out of ideas?" haha It has to be about your interests and not trying to cater to something you don't necessarily care about. Okay, I got a little off topic from your original post, but the basic idea is the same.
I agree. A lot of people just wanna make videos for YouTube just to get popular but: 1) they are passionate about anything. 2) they have no idea. I think just create content about something you like, and people gonna see that. And wether they like it or not, it’s out of our control.

Reaction score
Yeah both of you are def right. I was the same way back then. I focused way too much on what will get me the most fans rather than who will enjoy videos WITH me.

Reactions: Hulio