My channel is consistently performing. High CTR, high average view duration, and high-ranking in SEO. Why is it not growing?

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel page: https://www.youtube.com/acerthorn

I remember a few weeks ago when a youtube employee over at the "Creator insider" channel said that "youtube nirvana" (aka snowball effect, getting thousands of views a week) was "high CTR and high view duration." See

In that case, how come my channel isn't blowing up? Because according to those two metrics, my channel is indeed performing!

In the last 90 days, I've gotten a 3.5% CTR (which is well within youtube's recommended range of 2-10%) and an average view duration of 7:52 - https://i.postimg.cc/c4h9vtVn/Last-90-Days.png

In the last 28 days, I've gotten a 4.0% CTR and a 8:07 average view duration - https://i.postimg.cc/DynpfPYh/Last-28-Days.png

So not only is my channel performing within youtube's specified parameters, but my performance is steadily increasing!

But, because I only got 122.5K impressions in the past 90 days, that means I only got 4.3K views over the past three months. If these two parameters really are what's needed to unlock "youtube nirvana," then shouldn't I have gotten at least a couple million impressions?

But ok, maybe when youtube says "high CTR," they mean a CTR that's even better than the recommended 2-10% range. In that case, shouldn't my Skyrim Retrospective video (found here:
) at the very least be blowing up? As you can see from this screenshot ... https://i.postimg.cc/WssxsTQZ/Skyrim-Retrospective-WTF.png ... that video has more than 10% CTR and an average view duration of more than 20 minutes!

My Skyrim Retrospective is already heavily optimized for search, as you can see from this screenshot: https://i.postimg.cc/kg8yxVHs/Skyrim-Retrospective-Tags.png

That's a lot of green numbers, right there! Clearly, lack of SEO isn't the problem here!

So why have I only gotten 5.2K impressions for that video over its entire lifetime? Shouldn't I have gotten at least a hundred thousand impressions for that video over the past month, not just over the video's lifetime?

So my lack of growth isn't because of my thumbnails or titles, since my CTR is already good. It's not because my content isn't engaging, because if it weren't, my average view duration would be way smaller than it is, and it isn't because I'm not using SEO properly, because I'm at the top of a large number of high-volume searches!

What the hell am I missing, here? My channel is performing, god damn it! Why isn't it growing?!

Last edited:

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
in my opinion, we can have the best stats in the world but if there aren't a lot of people searching or desiring that kind of content, it limits the amount of success that the video can have.

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
in my opinion, we can have the best stats in the world but if there aren't a lot of people searching or desiring that kind of content, it limits the amount of success that the video can have.
So you're saying that Skyrim isn't something people are searching for or desiring content for?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know I'm not searching for it but there are some people who who are interested.

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Channel page: https://www.youtube.com/acerthorn

I remember a few weeks ago when a youtube employee over at the "Creator insider" channel said that "youtube nirvana" (aka snowball effect, getting thousands of views a week) was "high CTR and high view duration." See

In that case, how come my channel isn't blowing up? Because according to those two metrics, my channel is indeed performing!

In the last 90 days, I've gotten a 3.5% CTR (which is well within youtube's recommended range of 2-10%) and an average view duration of 7:52 - https://i.postimg.cc/c4h9vtVn/Last-90-Days.png

In the last 28 days, I've gotten a 4.0% CTR and a 8:07 average view duration - https://i.postimg.cc/DynpfPYh/Last-28-Days.png

So not only is my channel performing within youtube's specified parameters, but my performance is steadily increasing!

But, because I only got 122.5K impressions in the past 90 days, that means I only got 4.3K views over the past three months. If these two parameters really are what's needed to unlock "youtube nirvana," then shouldn't I have gotten at least a couple million impressions?

But ok, maybe when youtube says "high CTR," they mean a CTR that's even better than the recommended 2-10% range. In that case, shouldn't my Skyrim Retrospective video (found here:
) at the very least be blowing up? As you can see from this screenshot ... https://i.postimg.cc/WssxsTQZ/Skyrim-Retrospective-WTF.png ... that video has more than 10% CTR and an average view duration of more than 20 minutes!

My Skyrim Retrospective is already heavily optimized for search, as you can see from this screenshot: https://i.postimg.cc/kg8yxVHs/Skyrim-Retrospective-Tags.png

That's a lot of green numbers, right there! Clearly, lack of SEO isn't the problem here!

So why have I only gotten 5.2K impressions for that video over its entire lifetime? Shouldn't I have gotten at least a hundred thousand impressions for that video over the past month, not just over the video's lifetime?

So my lack of growth isn't because of my thumbnails or titles, since my CTR is already good. It's not because my content isn't engaging, because if it weren't, my average view duration would be way smaller than it is, and it isn't because I'm not using SEO properly, because I'm at the top of a large number of high-volume searches!

What the hell am I missing, here? My channel is performing, god damn it! Why isn't it growing?!

took a look at your channel and your subs vs view content is not well. sooo I once had a gaming channel and I was in your shoes. I was at about 400 subs and getting anywhere between 10 - 40 views. Reason for that is sub4sub or the "support my channel check out my video" type comment. I am wondering if that is something you did? It is something that I did on my gaming channel (no longer exists) and was reading YT can detect that and usually "kills" your channel. dont mean to discourage or say something you dont want to hear but I was in the same boat. esp if you leave comments on other YTers saying check out my channel or nice vid check mine out...YT automatically kills those channels from what I read...and I believe it because it happened to my gaming channel and I DID IT. nothing to be ashamed of. with my new channel its doing WAYYYY better and I just let all views and subs come natural with the exception of some forums and once in a while reddit posts (that is relevant and something that people can use)

If not, could be maybe try messing with tags and be patient. YT takes time. I know view retention counts, but with 5 or 6 views on a video it wont do much. Ive reading that when your video pops up on the "recommended for you" and they click it and watch most of it, that is what will drive that video up. I am not a YT expert but have experience with a gaming channel and I know its tough. You really have to be super entertaining and give a reason why people should stay watching.

as for snowball effect, it seems it does exist IF your videos are doing well. right now, I am getting more subs than ever. I was just at 200 about 2 weeks ago and my views are also doubling on my video over time vs how long it used to take before hitting 100 views. so yes a snowball effect does happen, but YT algorithm has to place you high in rankings and "recommended" for other people

Last edited:

zerocache

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Maybe just give it more time?

You have to keep in mind that nothing that they say, YT that is, is a guarantee. They are mere indications of how things work but are not necessarily a rule.

Further to that, since how you approach your SEO are providing good indicative results then turn your focus back on your content and image and keep at it. This is just another way of saying again, give it more time. :)

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Reason for that is sub4sub or the "support my channel check out my video" type comment. I am wondering if that is something you did
No, it is not. I have never done sub for sub before.

I know view retention counts, but with 5 or 6 views on a video it wont do much
Two things:

1. Have you tried actually sorting my videos by most popular? My 25th most popular video has ... well ... a lot more than just 5 or 6 views. I do multiple series on my channel. Many of my fans subscribe for one or two series and don't watch the series they aren't interested in.

2. And yes, I very much understand that some of my videos don't have many views. That's why I'm frustrated. YT said that the key to getting more views is having high CTR and high average view duration. Well, I've got high CTR and high view duration. So I should be getting views. But I'm not. So what the hell?

Yes, I know my view count is low. That's the f*****g point.

Last edited:

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
No, it is not. I have never done sub for sub before.

Two things:

1. Have you tried actually sorting my videos by most popular? My 25th most popular video has ... well ... a lot more than just 5 or 6 views. I do multiple series on my channel. Many of my fans subscribe for one or two series and don't watch the series they aren't interested in.

2. And yes, I very much understand that some of my videos don't have many views. That's why I'm frustrated. YT said that the key to getting more views is having high CTR and high average view duration. Well, I've got high CTR and high view duration. So I should be getting views. But I'm not. So what the hell?

Yes, I know my view count is low. That's the f*****g point.
yeah I get your frustration so that is def out of the question. From what I have read...again these are just articles off the web and stuff, videos that are clicked "recommended for you" is what sores the most. IDK YT is just one weird monster.

I know i saw your popular videos and my guess subs came from that, which is a good thing. I usually try to remind people to hit the bell button at the end, in the description... I get worried the more subs I get the less people will hit the bell button. I think YT sees subs vs views as part of the algorithm as well on how well ea video does in ranking (from what I have read). I think 1/2 the challenge is getting the subs to hit that bell button to help with the views. I know i get a few people who hit the sub button but never hit the bell button and they never will see another video again..because well YT just sucks at that and helping smaller YTers.

I also read instead of doing "your own life/game" type videos try doing videos that will help people/tutorials or something that people want to search for...then you can start doing your own gaming videos...and I am slwoly doing that with my channel.. like reviews/opinion/best of/ etc or w/e and that usually gets more views and rank up your channel again...perfect example "top 5 elder scrolls money exploits"

im just trying to help as I know how tough YT can be and I went through the same thing, but I did sub4sub. I am not trying to bring down your channel or anything im genuinely trying to help, its in my nature to help others succeed.

But the other things I can recommend it was I posted above, be patient, up load consistent but not too much (from what I have read)
your retention is fine, so length is fine, and maybe try reddit but dont spam it. like something that will help people and that should help rank up your channel (YT algorithm wise)

I honestly wish i understood YT and its algorithm but we all know its super weird and complicated. the only thing I have to compare is my dirtbike channel and how bad and mistakes I did with my gaming channel and just kind of spread that knowledge to everyone else

Last edited:
Reactions: zerocache