My channel has been demonetized

curiousbruh

Reaction score
Last night i got a message from YouTube. My channel got demonetized for re-used content. "Repurposing someone else's content without adding significant original commentary or educational value." Which I didn't see coming since it takes me 6-8 hours to make an episode. All the recordings i do myself. Same goes with the overlays and stuff. I don't use memes. I don't do highlight compilations. The only "re-used" content on my channel are the music, occasional stock footage and fonts, which i have all the rights to use since i have either bought licenses to them or they are already licensed.

The channel is in gaming niche and dedicated to showcasing different kind of in-game customization options in a cinematic way. The customization options are made by my fans. It would just sound so ridiculous that me showcasing customization options in-game would be somehow linked to re-used content. Here's a link to my channel if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrbRdDdh0sXruvsGmWfN4Ww

I would love to hear some opinions/insights from you!

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Looking at your latest video, they made the right decision.
It is nothing more than a screen recording of game play with no added value - they no longer monetizing such content.

See this:
"Video game content may be monetized if the associated step-by-step commentary is strictly tied to the live action being shown and provides instructional or educational value."
"Videos simply showing a user playing a video game or the use of software for extended periods of time may not be accepted for monetization."

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I've removed the clickbait title of this thread and replaced it with something that objectively describes the situation. (You weren't demonetized "for no reason" and nobody here has to "prove" anything.)

You are very vague about the provenance of your footage. If "your fans" recorded it, then I guess that footage has been uploaded to their channels too and probably to other channels. That is duplicate content.

Also your previous thread here was asking if you could get away with "compilations" and using other people's content. You were advised not to do it but I guess you ignored that advice and did it anyway? Or maybe you have been doing that from the start and wanted reassurance?

Anyway. I agree with @cbpayne - Your videos don't add any value from the original footage. You've just taken the footage and added some music. YouTube is meant to be about YOU. It's not supposed to be a platform for uploading regurgitated content. Google have made that clear for at least 3 years now. I'm kind of bemused that people still claim ignorance about that fact.

Reactions: Mr. Berserk

curiousbruh

Reaction score
Looking at your latest video, they made the right decision.
It is nothing more than a screen recording of game play with no added value - they no longer monetizing such content.

See this:
"Video game content may be monetized if the associated step-by-step commentary is strictly tied to the live action being shown and provides instructional or educational value."
"Videos simply showing a user playing a video game or the use of software for extended periods of time may not be accepted for monetization."
Thanks for your opinion! You know mine already. Spending 6-8 hours of recording and editing for an 2 minute clip is not being lazy in my opinion.

curiousbruh

Reaction score
I've removed the clickbait title of this thread and replaced it with something that objectively describes the situation. (You weren't demonetized "for no reason" and nobody here has to "prove" anything.)

You are very vague about the provenance of your footage. If "your fans" recorded it, then I guess that footage has been uploaded to their channels too and probably to other channels. That is duplicate content.

Also your previous thread here was asking if you could get away with "compilations" and using other people's content. You were advised not to do it but I guess you ignored that advice and did it anyway? Or maybe you have been doing that from the start and wanted reassurance?

Anyway. I agree with @cbpayne - Your videos don't add any value from the original footage. You've just taken the footage and added some music. YouTube is meant to be about YOU. It's not supposed to be a platform for uploading regurgitated content. Google have made that clear for at least 3 years now. I'm kind of bemused that people still claim ignorance about that fact.
No, my fans didn't record anything. Yes, i got some great advice from a friendly guy. And after consideration i have abandoned my idea of making highlight videos.
I don't wanna be offensive but do your research before u start shooting people with false accusations. I linked my channel, u can take a look at it. No highlight videos.
Opinion valued though.

Last edited:

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion! You know mine already. Spending 6-8 hours of recording and editing for an 2 minute clip is not being lazy in my opinion.
No one accused you of being lazy. You are simply creating videos that YouTube no longer wants to monetize.

Mr. Berserk

Reaction score
I am new here and am wondering now that I am reading this. I am trying to make a gaming channel as well and am wondering if I would fall under the same fate.

these are the types of videos I make

Is there anyway I can stop this from happening to me if I am doing gaming videos as well?
Thanks in advance for taking time out to help

Mr. Berserk

Reaction score
Read the link I posted above
I did read it. I was just asking for a more personal experience thing over the textbook answer. I read that I need permission or licensing by the gaming company but it seems youtube picks them at will