My Analytics Suggest That I Should Change My Channel Direction...

Katt Strike

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hey guys,

So I'm in a little bit of a pickle. I've been working hard recently to try and up my channel's quality and content. I decided to review my analytics and it seems that I hold the most retention in my talky videos than my musical ones.

People even keep watching through videos that I made 4 years ago, they're terribly edited but they're the ones where I talk.

I'm interested in your guy's opinion. Do you think that I should change my direction to include more vlogs and videos where I discuss more personal aspects of my life... or should I keep going with the music and hope for the best?

Reactions: MattyGreen

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think that when you have an idea for a really good vlog then do that as well as your music stuff. I had a watch through some of your songs and they're really, really good so personally, I'd hate to see you stop them! The problem I've found doing music is that it's really hard to get listeners and fans that way unless you do covers. Vlogs, on the other hand, you can make topical to what's happening in the world to capitalise on trends or make them more personal so that people get a chance to engage with you as a person and then enjoy the music more when they know who it's coming from. I'm having the same issue at the moment where I wanna do more vlogs but lack confidence and can't think of what to talk about. Hope this helps and good luck!

HeyJayBay

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

So I'm in a little bit of a pickle. I've been working hard recently to try and up my channel's quality and content. I decided to review my analytics and it seems that I hold the most retention in my talky videos than my musical ones.

People even keep watching through videos that I made 4 years ago, they're terribly edited but they're the ones where I talk.

I'm interested in your guy's opinion. Do you think that I should change my direction to include more vlogs and videos where I discuss more personal aspects of my life... or should I keep going with the music and hope for the best?
Musical and chit chatty? That's my kind of channel! I personally think you should not worry about analytics too much and make videos you're happy with.
On a side note, I'm loving your channel...and we have the same ukulele :O or did...I accidentally sat on mine. I'd love to collab with you some how one day. We seem to be very similar ^.^

tonyphan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You might do some more experiments with it to determine which direction you should go. Maybe a few musical videos then a talky video in between. Let's see which one performs better then go to that direction. I mean, let's focus on what is working really well, right? There's no point bumping your head in a brick wall : )

Chandler

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I think you should try to combine them instead of do one or the other. Perhaps do vlog about your inspiration for your songs. Tell the story behind it. Or do a vlog about a new instrument you bought, etc. My other channel is a music channel. but I mostly do tutorials and reviews. I've found people will listen to my music once they're subscribed, but I need other videos to draw people in. If I write music using the concept I talk about in a video or using something I reviewed I usually get a positive reception.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's a little bit hard to tell sometimes when the data is from so far back. Probably best come up with a lot of great ideas and post on both music and talking and then see what the response from your subscribers is or if you have a breakthrough video at some point. Follow up what does well from that test with more of the same, try to get it to snowball.

I think moving between music or talking videos matters less, and the video ideas themselves in terms of potential matter more. Understanding why certain ideas worked and what ideas could work now. I would say do both and come up with the best ideas you possibly can, and then as others have said see which one ends up doing better. On my channel certain types of videos clearly perform better than others and I often experiment with other ideas to test this, but because of this I clearly know now that my channel is a mobile gaming channel and that is what my subs want to see.

Reactions: Katt Strike

Spectre677

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys,

Do what you love the most but remember your channel is about you so when you talk people will feel more engaged with you it is like watching a gaming video where a guy plays through the game and doesn't say a word literally any one on the planet can do that if you have a mic and play the same game talking while going through people can hear your reactions to things in the game and gage how much to like it or feel scared it adds personality so more of YOU in your videos.

Katt Strike

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Musical and chit chatty? That's my kind of channel! I personally think you should not worry about analytics too much and make videos you're happy with.
On a side note, I'm loving your channel...and we have the same ukulele :O or did...I accidentally sat on mine. I'd love to collab with you some how one day. We seem to be very similar ^.^
I just had a look through your channel as well :D I would say that we do seem quite similar!
A collab would be great fun, if you have any suggestions then do send them my way :D[DOUBLEPOST=1503026644,1503026511][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's a little bit hard to tell sometimes when the data is from so far back. Probably best come up with a lot of great ideas and post on both music and talking and then see what the response from your subscribers is or if you have a breakthrough video at some point. Follow up what does well from that test with more of the same, try to get it to snowball.

I think moving between music or talking videos matters less, and the video ideas themselves in terms of potential matter more. Understanding why certain ideas worked and what ideas could work now. I would say do both and come up with the best ideas you possibly can, and then as others have said see which one ends up doing better. On my channel certain types of videos clearly perform better than others and I often experiment with other ideas to test this, but because of this I clearly know now that my channel is a mobile gaming channel and that is what my subs want to see.
Thanks man, I appreciate you taking the time to write all this out :)
I have an idea for a new niche series (that sort of bridges the gap between music and talking haha), so I guess I'll have to experiment and see!