My AdWords Experiment - Cost per subscriber of £1.50

buzzcuts

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
Thanks for sharing your experience, Darren. Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and experience.

I've always heard that if you plan to run ads on YouTube to promote a channel, that it's generally a good practice to use a separate video created specifically for that ad campaign, A) to optimize the video length and format for the target demographic of non-subscribers/new viewers, and B) because it will otherwise negatively effect organic growth. With that said, I remember Tai Lopez saying on the H3 podcast that his first infamous 'in my garage video' started as an organic post and 'went viral' only after a big ad spend, so I guess there's no clear rule.

I have no comparison for typical/acceptable acquisition costs in, but this industry, but I believe for social media software and traditional video subscription services like Netflix, costs are usually $5-10...but that's for a business with a very clear value per acquisition (ie., monthly paid subscriber, or a reliable average income per user).

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank for everyone's feedback! It's really interesting. I have done a second experiment in the last 4 days spending £44 and now my cost per sub is down to £0.78 with some tinkering of the audience and the video itself (now using my channel trailer).

This is a better result, and building a community around my business for the sake of spending £44 to get 56 subs isn't too bad, I need an audience to succeed in my business plan long term. The other interesting thing is that my rate of organic growth (which wasn't great anyway) hasn't stalled.

Mark Stise

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank for everyone's feedback! It's really interesting. I have done a second experiment in the last 4 days spending £44 and now my cost per sub is down to £0.78 with some tinkering of the audience and the video itself (now using my channel trailer).

This is a better result, and building a community around my business for the sake of spending £44 to get 56 subs isn't too bad, I need an audience to succeed in my business plan long term. The other interesting thing is that my rate of organic growth (which wasn't great anyway) hasn't stalled.

Darren
Thanks for all the great ideas
I checked out your channel and you have some really interesting suggestions!!!

Reactions: Darren Taylor