Multiple Niches separated by playlists?

thornstein

Reaction score
In trying to grow, everyone says you have to stick to a niche. I don't want to be restricted by that but thought I could do that through playlists. So I have TechTom, LakeTom, RandomTom, named playlists on my channel. My channel is about the fact that my interests change over time, sometimes fast and sometimes slow. I don't want to be glued to a particular subject, but explore all kinds of subjects. Does this make sense and does it sound doable if I want to grow just a little bit?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To be honest, if you are making videos for fun, it doesn't matter. If you are trying to grow a successful channel, you will face an uphill battle.

Kyonite

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
I think your concept is interesting, you should follow through with this, but people who want a specific type of content won't stay after you move through fazes unless you hook em with your personality, so, uh... do that

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Thats not always good advice.. If you have a very narrowly prescribed niche with low search volume then sticking with that niche will limit your growth anyway. Although it does help you gain some authority on the subject matter.

Try different things to see what works. Especially if your channel is small. One thing to consider though is lets say you have 99% of your subscribers from say videos about dogs. You might make the worlds best video about cats. But your subscribers will get notified of your new video watch for 10 seconds and say "this is a sh*t" dog" and turn off or unsubscribe. This will will be really bad for watch time retention and tells youtube people don't like your video which means it wont get suggested an stuff. So if your going off niche with a strong following for something else TOP TIP.. don't tick the 'notify subscribers' when you upload.

Joey Mesa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
In trying to grow, everyone says you have to stick to a niche. I don't want to be restricted by that but thought I could do that through playlists. So I have TechTom, LakeTom, RandomTom, named playlists on my channel. My channel is about the fact that my interests change over time, sometimes fast and sometimes slow. I don't want to be glued to a particular subject, but explore all kinds of subjects. Does this make sense and does it sound doable if I want to grow just a little bit?
That's the basic concept I've been following the last 3 years or so. My channel is all over the place. I feel like I've done a decent job separating all the different subjects into different playlists. I realize this isn't "the ideal method" for rapid channel growth, but personally, I enjoy doing it this way. I'm sure I've lost some subscribers that got turned off by some random video I made, but my channel is still steadily growing and it's always been enjoyable to make videos about the stuff I'm into.