Multiple Ad Breaks Placement Issues, Issue #1: Ad Placement Not Always Optional

RickGuyver

Hello all, this is my first help request to the forum, so I hope it's worthy of your attentions.

I will post each issue as a separate thread, and the following is Issue #1.

Ad Breaks Placement is not an option for all videos.
This means some of my videos allows me to control where (or when) the ad should appear while watching the video, but others simply aren't giving me the option.

For example, I have attached an image of the screenshot I see when trying to monetize certain videos. So when I go to monetize this video, I see the four options under Ad Formats labeled, Display Ads, Overlay Ads, Sponsored Cards, and then Skippable Video Ads.
youtube ad breaks placement ussues.jpg

Below that is the Ad Breaks, and this is where things become very confusing for me, because when I go to another video and try to monetize it, this option for ad breaks won't be there. Please refer to the next image I've uploaded as an example.
youtube ad breaks placement ussues 1a.jpg

Does anyone know why youtube would give me some control of ad placement in one video, but not in another? I just can't think of any rhyme or reason why they would do that, and haven't found help anywhere on their directories or from the web.

It's for videos that are over 10 minutes long, if I recall correctly. Nobody really wants to see 50 ads on a 3 minute long video or anything like that.

I will most each issue as a separate thread, and the following is Issue #2:

Can't figure out how to Ad Break to Appear After Video.

I've seen other videos that don't show an ad until the video is over. I really like this idea, because it sems to give the viewer more options as far as skipping the ad. For instance they could just click on another video, if they don't want to wait 5 secs to skip an ad.

But can someone please explain how this is done?
For example in the following uploaded image, you should see that iunder the Ad Breaks, there is a timeline where I can drag the blue bar and place it accordingly within the video's time line.

There are also two boxes which can be checked or left open- one is to the left of the time line labeled, "before video", and the other is on the right, labeled "after video".

As you can see I have left the "before video" box unchecked, while checking the "after video" box, yet when I go to view the video, no ad appears following the video.

Any instructional links, thoughts or suggestions would be great, as I haven't yet found any clear instructions on how this particular tool works.Thank you!

Ah, so if I have you correct, my videos that are less than 10 mins won't offer me the placement options, and will automatically place the skippable ad at the very beginning. Does that sound right, I hope? Thanks too, btw

I didn't know you could add more than 3 ad breaks. I initially just go start, mid 10 minute mark and end of video. Not adding an ad to the start of a video can actually hurt your ad revenue imo. I mean everyone that watches youtube videos should be used to it by now. Don't miss out on that ad revenue!

Ah, so if I have you correct, my videos that are less than 10 mins won't offer me the placement options, and will automatically place the skippable ad at the very beginning. Does that sound right, I hope? Thanks too, btw
Yes.
I didn't know you could add more than 3 ad breaks. I initially just go start, mid 10 minute mark and end of video. Not adding an ad to the start of a video can actually hurt your ad revenue imo. I mean everyone that watches youtube videos should be used to it by now. Don't miss out on that ad revenue!

I've seen a video with over 60 ad breaks, so yeah... the longer the video the more you could put ads on it. I think there's a pretty good balance overall, though some go a bit too extreme with them.

Having multiple issues with ad breaks placement, and so have posted them separately. The following is Issue #3

Can't seem to undo what I have done, as far as ad placement goes- at least not fully.

For example, in the following image, you can see that I had dragged the blue bar across the timeline, and clicked "insert ad" (I think) each time before I finally saved the changes.
But now, when I go back to try to remove the grey boxes, I can't.
Anyone know what gives?

Last edited:
Back