Moving into Product review video - Getting products to review?

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I know some companies will offer free products in return for an honest and quality review video. How does one get into this?

I know I am just starting and I will likely not have many takers, but is this typically something you reach out to companies or do you want them to come to find you?

either way, I am buying my own products right now because it is typically stuff I want/need anyway, I was just wondering if there was a secret behind it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or anecdotes!

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Once our channel got 1k-2k or so subscribers, some of the cheap/Chinese companies started contacting us asking to do reviews for them in return for free products..
We now reach-out to larger companies and ask if they would like a review.. There are a lot of videos on Youtube advising when and how to reach out, but remember that before they start sending you free stuff they will want you to have a lot of subscribers.

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Exactly, once you are close to 1k, some Chinese companies will start approaching you. I did several reviews of free products they sent me, and in return, I do a review video and leave links to their online stores. I still didn`t contact any company by myself, because I think my channel still needs to grow a little bit. The important advice I will give you since you are just starting, put an effort in every video like it will achieve thousands of views. Some of the first videos on my channel are really bad, and some of them got thousands of views so not a good representation of channel because they will leave after watching that video and will not subscribe. If your videos are decent quality then they will see what else you have on the channel and potentially hit that subscribe button.

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
Exactly, once you are close to 1k, some Chinese companies will start approaching you. I did several reviews of free products they sent me, and in return, I do a review video and leave links to their online stores. I still didn`t contact any company by myself, because I think my channel still needs to grow a little bit. The important advice I will give you since you are just starting, put an effort in every video like it will achieve thousands of views. Some of the first videos on my channel are really bad, and some of them got thousands of views so not a good representation of channel because they will leave after watching that video and will not subscribe. If your videos are decent quality then they will see what else you have on the channel and potentially hit that subscribe button.
Thanks for the feedback! I don't know how much I would want to be associated with those Chinese companies and their products because sometimes they have a bad rep but I guess any exposure (good or bad) is still exposure [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

HeyFalcon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
oh wow i didnt know this was a thing! im only just getting passed the 150 subs now so lets see if this happens to me when and if i get close to 1k subs :D

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thanks for the feedback! I don't know how much I would want to be associated with those Chinese companies and their products because sometimes they have a bad rep but I guess any exposure (good or bad) is still exposure [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
If they send you product for free doesn't mean you need to say good things about it. If the product sucks you tell that to your viewers and warn them not to buy it. In a polite way that you think company still needs to improve [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spence Bailey

Siguifeque

Reaction score
Those people who answered the "was your pc infected with stuxnet malware" poll, I am really curious as to who you are to get hit by a targeted attack.