Movie Channel Review

Jared Poirier

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys! Thanks for reading my post.

I have been releasing vids on YouTube for about 7 months and Im nearing 100 subs.

I have come a long way but I am sure there is a lot of things I can improve.

Anything about my vids, channel design, organization ect that I could refine?

Thanks guys!

marlinward

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I briefly checked out your channel, and your looking pretty good. the only thing I could say and this is only a mild suggestion would be to film your review from multiple angles. In you videos its you standing looking at the camera for several minutes at a time. If you recorded some of the video then moved the camera to the left or the right then started again it could break up the video and bring back the viewers attention.

LostTrigger

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i love your banner. not a huge fan of your picture but its fine. your thumbnails are ok. they work. not bad not exactly great but they work.

im going to watch your justice league video because justice league sucked and i wanted to hear someone rip into it(im deducting points if you liked it). so listening to you starting to talk about the movie it sounds like your reading a script. you dont fluctuate your voice like you'd do in a normal conversation so the audio is kind of boring. it feels to stage and not natural.

idk. move your eyes or something, it feels weird when your just staring directly into the camera lol.

i'd prefer it if you used movie clips(if not movie clips atleast the use the trailers) but having pictures is fine. its better than not including anything.

i actually agree with the person above. im 2 minutes in and i realized that i've just been staring at you lol. maybe when you include the pictures make them full screen to break up the video. also dont stand there so stiff. i dont mind the edits after a sentence has ended. i mean i would prefer it if you could get a few sentences in with one take but thats not my big issue, if your making mistakes mid-sentence just redo that whole part. dont splice together two versions to cover a mistake.

another big problem for me. i dont know if your doing this for all your videos, i've watched through most of the justice league and a bit of thor and im getting the same impression. it doesnt sound like your taking a stance on the movie. it sounds like a pretty neutral pros and cons review and i find those kind of reviews to be a waste of time. and im not interested in that. i hate those kinds of vidoes. i want to know if the movie is bad and why. if its good and why. or if its average why. i think reviews should be structured that way. you start off with the premise that say, thor ragnorak is awesome, and everything before that builds up to that conclusion. watching your reviews its hard for me to understand whether or not you actually liked the movie. did you like it? did you just enjoy it? was it a good move or was it great? pretty average? i only know you didnt hate justice league because you said you didnt( atleast i think you said you liked it i could be making that up) but just listening to the video im not sure where you stand on the movie.

reviews are more interesting when you treat them like debates. if your teacher put you on a debate team and told you to debate why justice league sucked(or w.e your opinion on it is) thats the review i want to listen to.

Last edited:

Jared Poirier

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I briefly checked out your channel, and your looking pretty good. the only thing I could say and this is only a mild suggestion would be to film your review from multiple angles. In you videos its you standing looking at the camera for several minutes at a time. If you recorded some of the video then moved the camera to the left or the right then started again it could break up the video and bring back the viewers attention.
Hey this is really great advice and I will implement this next time. I think what I will do is just set up a second cam, and talk to that one sometimes. The second cam footage wont be quite as high quality (it will be on a lower end DSLR where as my main cam is a very fancy video camera) but it will still be good to add some variety to the shots and not just have me starring at the cam.

Not sure how that will work with greenscreen but we will find out.[DOUBLEPOST=1512564959,1512564494][/DOUBLEPOST]
i love your banner. not a huge fan of your picture but its fine. your thumbnails are ok. they work. not bad not exactly great but they work.

im going to watch your justice league video because justice league sucked and i wanted to hear someone rip into it(im deducting points if you liked it). so listening to you starting to talk about the movie it sounds like your reading a script. you dont fluctuate your voice like you'd do in a normal conversation so the audio is kind of boring. it feels to stage and not natural.

idk. move your eyes or something, it feels weird when your just staring directly into the camera lol.

i'd prefer it if you used movie clips(if not movie clips atleast the use the trailers) but having pictures is fine. its better than not including anything.

i actually agree with the person above. im 2 minutes in and i realized that i've just been staring at you lol. maybe when you include the pictures make them full screen to break up the video. also dont stand there so stiff. i dont mind the edits after a sentence has ended. i mean i would prefer it if you could get a few sentences in with one take but thats not my big issue, if your making mistakes mid-sentence just redo that whole part. dont splice together two versions to cover a mistake.

another big problem for me. i dont know if your doing this for all your videos, i've watched through most of the justice league and a bit of thor and im getting the same impression. it doesnt sound like your taking a stance on the movie. it sounds like a pretty neutral pros and cons review and i find those kind of reviews to be a waste of time. and im not interested in that. i hate those kinds of vidoes. i want to know if the movie is bad and why. if its good and why. or if its average why. i think reviews should be structured that way. you start off with the premise that say, thor ragnorak is awesome, and everything before that builds up to that conclusion. watching your reviews its hard for me to understand whether or not you actually liked the movie. did you like it? did you just enjoy it? was it a good move or was it great? pretty average? i only know you didnt hate justice league because you said you didnt( atleast i think you said you liked it i could be making that up) but just listening to the video im not sure where you stand on the movie.

reviews are more interesting when you treat them like debates. if your teacher put you on a debate team and told you to debate why justice league sucked(or w.e your opinion on it is) thats the review i want to listen to.
Wow thats a lot to take in.

I only use stills because I want to avoid copyright claims. (this has happened to me before just using scenes from trailers without sound)

I actually don't shoot with a script, but I think that If I did it might allow me to be more animated in my speech because I wont be thinking about exactly what I want to say. I will try that next time I think.

I actually don't screw up recording that much, I cut a lot for speed in delivery, don't want a lot of dead air. The formal script might help with this as well.

To your last point, the most important thing to me is that I'm honest about the movies I review. I'm not going to pretend I loved a movie more than I did, and I'm not going to trash a movie I thought was just okay.

There are some reviews, like my review of the Witch, where I do just say it's awesome and then talk about why its so F*cking awsome!

When a movie comes along that is reeallly BAD, like BVS bad, then you will see a really negative review.

Thanks you for all the CC! I will implement what I can from your post

buzzcuts

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
I like that your reviews are much more nuanced/sane than the usual YT hyperbole. I subscribed!

If you can't rig up another camera angle, consider giving the viewer some more eye candy. Maybe just the movie poster in the blank part of the background?

Reactions: Jared Poirier

Jared Poirier

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I like that your reviews are much more nuanced/sane than the usual YT hyperbole. I subscribed!

If you can't rig up another camera angle, consider giving the viewer some more eye candy. Maybe just the movie poster in the blank part of the background?
Hey thanks a lot man! Your channel is really cool too!