Movie and TV Show reviews

CanuckKidsTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just wondering about the copyright aspects of using some footage of a TV show or movie for the purposes of a review. As an example, my daughter is 10 and wants to review the new Ninja go movie.

Can we use any footage, say from the trailer so her references make more sense?

Same with Nickolodeon TV shows? Though I don't know if any trailers would be available, I might have to use real footage?

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
If you use footage, expect Content ID to pick it up instantly.

More than likely, you'll just receive a copyright notice stating:
Copyrighted content was found in your video.
The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it.​

Basically, the studio will put ads on your video and they'll collect any money earned.

You'd have better luck if, instead of short videos, you used stills.

Reactions: CanuckKidsTV

CanuckKidsTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. It's unfortunate that we can't use even a few seconds of footage but yes, I think we can make that work.

Thx for the idea!

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
From a legal standpoint as long as the review is an actual critical review that talks about good and bad points of the film and isnt just someone literally saying what happens in the film then using footage should be covered under fair use. Youtubes copyright ID system however is effectively blind to this and will mark it down as improper use regardless, meaning that the films rights owners will be allowed to monetize your video for there financial gain...

its a proper mine field not helped by the fact that while "Fair use" is fairly universal its actual definition changes from country to country (And in the US it can even change from state to state!) I get around this by stylizing my video so that it has duels screens...that way not only can I show as much footage as I like without getting the copyright bots on me, it also allows me to show 2 or even 3 different clips at once to illustrate points I raise in my reviews. its a pain that comes with the youtube automation process but to quote Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic park "Life...finds a way!" xD

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I get around this by stylizing my video so that it has duels screens...that way not only can I show as much footage as I like without getting the copyright bots on me, it also allows me to show 2 or even 3 different clips at once to illustrate points I raise in my reviews.

Be aware that video does not have to be full screen to be detected by Content ID...more reason on why I recommended using stills.

Reactions: TYTD

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Be aware that video does not have to be full screen to be detected by Content ID...more reason on why I recommended using stills.
Admittedly that is true; it was something I considered when I started my channel and as a result I've taken to preserving all my audio in as clean and mastered a quality as possible and my videos in uncompressed and compressed form so if for whatever the reason my channel tanks as a result of the terminators learning too much I can immediately upload them all as podcasts while I get backup copies up on Vimeo or dailymotion...it wouldnt be ideal but Im trying very hard to follow the terms of fair use...obviously the automated system is what it is and cant be reasoned with...but I like to think if my channel did go up in flames at least i'd have the moral high ground :bounce: