Motion Thumbnails

ZakDTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I was tooling around reddit just now and saw a post asking about motion thumbnails so I thought I would see what I could dig up. yes, they are out there, usually in the up next position and they animate when you hover your mouse over them. What do yall think is this a cool Idea or is all the time you put into making custom thumbnails out the window? Anyone know more about this like will we have to make gifs for custom thumbs or will this only be playing segments in outr videos? Give me your feedback and let me know!

Riddikore

Overseer of Earth Realm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've seen these a few times before, even on my own thumbnails which aren't animated GIFs. YouTube creates them automatically using screenshots from your video. Much like it how it offers you auto generated thumbnails from sections of your video. Though it doesn't happen all the time for everyone so it's probably being tested with random users.

ZakDTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Right on, so there is no extra work to making it happen.Basically a lil preview play of the video

Riddikore

Overseer of Earth Realm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Nope I didn't have to do anything and I'm guessing if YouTube rolls it out fully, they won't have the user do anything.

There's a slight variation of this on their gaming platform gaming.youtube.com where mousing over the thumbnail actually shows a video preview. But no work on the part of the user.

Subnerv

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Pretty sure it is still in beta testing. Thumbnail gif's, the way of the future.

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I prefer regular thumbnails because the gifs on other sites are glitchy and don't work half the time.

TylersMagic

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've never seen or heard of these, it sounds interesting though.