More efficient way of making thumbnails?

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
What I had been doing to make my thumbnails was finding a part in the video that I wanted for it, pausing, hitting printscreen, and cutting out everything, but there is always the video controls so I end up cutting some of it. Am I doing this right or is there a better way that I don't know about?

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I use Photoshop to make thumbnails, have used it to cutout images after doing a printscreen.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What I had been doing to make my thumbnails was finding a part in the video that I wanted for it, pausing, hitting printscreen, and cutting out everything, but there is always the video controls so I end up cutting some of it. Am I doing this right or is there a better way that I don't know about?
If you want fast thumbnails, you can export a frame from your editing software. Or if this is too complex, play the videos with VLC player and press Shift+S at the part where you want to take a picture.
After you have the exported files, you can edit them in Paint to add some fast text and remove unneeded parts.

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
I will second the comment above. Export frame from clip (I use Adobe Premiere) then bring it to Photoshop. I finally have a template already setup in photoshop with resolution, font types, etc. I usually knock this out while the video is being uploaded to YouTube.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yes, I do what Hirodov suggests. If the scene is unobstructed (no text or anything), then I'll take a screenshot in VLC using the built-in screenshot tool. If there's some text or something I don't want, then I'll open the original raw video frame in my editor (Premiere) and export a still frame from there.

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
There are a few ways to skin the cat here. I've noticed that TubeBuddy offers some functionality when it comes to helping create Thumbnails, and they would likely be consistent and of the same flavor if you used the same platform each time. I believe it allows you to take any section of your video and use a still frame as your thumbnail and it then also offers to tools to add texts and graphics I believe. I don't know how powerful it is, but it would be easier than having to do a print screen.

Oana

Reaction score
I take a picture of the food I want to review before starting filming and then I go in Photoshop and work on that.
I save .tiff if i need to change something later and .jpeg for uplouding on YT.