More and more use of computer generated voice over on YouTube

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
The only time I seem someone use something like is because they are deaf and can’t talk!
Hehe, yeah there is that side of things, but I think there's a different type of person who's cropping up to do it and it's like... people who want to cash in on quick top ten lists or 3 minute how to's, and the info is usually not great, poor slides, robotic voice, to be honest this is mostly speculation, an intuition I get from my ventures on the youtubes but, the OP seems to get the same impression so.... We're right. :smug:

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yeah its quite prominent at those "10 things you never knew about" or "5 amazing facts about Titanic you wouldn't believe" kind of videos.
I don't bother it too much, as long as it is a good computer voice. Cause there are different ones as well...

Reactions: Symph

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Yeah, I hate those videos too. It's people from 3rd world countries who don't speak English and just copy-paste crap from Wikipedia or whatever and feed it into the text-voice software.

Another pet peeve is tutorials where they have loud background music, NO commentary at all but halfway through, they open notepad and start typing what they are trying to explain! Sure dude, I'll wait while you type out 20 lines of gibberish in real time. Awesome video.

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Another pet peeve is tutorials where they have loud background music, NO commentary at all but halfway through, they open notepad and start typing what they are trying to explain! Sure dude, I'll wait while you type out 20 lines of gibberish in real time. Awesome video.
Haha, those tutorials where someone tries to explain in at .txt file something and you have to wait for them to correct their spelling mistakes. But especially for niche topics there often is no alternative so it's better than nothing and sometimes the tutorials actually help.

Reactions: videoeditgr

Symph

Reaction score
Channel Type
Yeah its quite prominent at those "10 things you never knew about" or "5 amazing facts about Titanic you wouldn't believe" kind of videos.
I don't bother it too much, as long as it is a good computer voice. Cause there are different ones as well...
I have actually noticed this too and it creeps me out. Sometimes these voices are seriously bad quality and annoying, but every now and then they almost sound real, which makes me think in a few more years they may make ones you can hardly tell the difference which is just... I... don't... like... robots.... Ewwwwwwwwww.....

Aventus

Reaction score
Depends on how it's used, though I do agree that plopping the text-to-speech voice on some random news article or top 10 list is just plain lazy.

Sometimes it could also be used as humor or to add something odd or unique about the video.

Reactions: videoeditgr

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dislike it myself, however it can be used in satire or short parts of a video. If an entire video consists of mr roboto (not the song by Styx) I click away instantly. Domo Arigato! If you don't like your voice get over it. I honestly don't care about how I sound. Be yourself and get out there. Either that or have view times of 10 seconds while people continue to search for a video with an actual human talking.

Rambalac

Reaction score
Probably the main reason is channels from East or South Asia targeting for US viewers while channel onewners are not able to speak English.

Symph

Reaction score
Channel Type
I dislike it myself, however it can be used in satire or short parts of a video. If an entire video consists of mr roboto (not the song by Styx) I click away instantly. Domo Arigato! If you don't like your voice get over it. I honestly don't care about how I sound. Be yourself and get out there. Either that or have view times of 10 seconds while people continue to search for a video with an actual human talking.
Yeah I mean with SOME videos when they have great information I can totally let it go. I think it's not just the robot voice though, there's a slew of these videos that just give off an over all vibe of laziness in general and sometimes I find myself weeding through many of them in one night cause they're dominating the topic I am looking for.