Monstercat? Royalty Free Music?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown_user094590385084

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I've heard quite a few people on the forums list Monstercat as royalty free music. I just wanted to double check if this is true. And does this mean that all the artists signed with Monstercat (such as Tristam) are royalty free music? I am deeply lost and confused. Please enlighten me.

Reactions: JollyDangerous

Thrashbat

Thrashimation's Favorite Bat!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Comedian, Animator
Great question! I wish I could answer that for you, but I'm wondering the same thing! Let's hope we get an answer! :)

SamTochelliDesign

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
No. You can use their music that is officially released on their channel. Individual artists have other releases not under Monstercat's label and those songs are ineligible. You will get a third party content claim though as they want to give the artists some money.

JollyDangerous

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
I've heard quite a few people on the forums list Monstercat as royalty free music. I just wanted to double check if this is true. And does this mean that all the artists signed with Monstercat (such as Tristam) are royalty free music? I am deeply lost and confused. Please enlighten me.
If you are talking about music.monstercat then it seems that you are leasing the music for your content seeing that you have to pay for some. At the bottom of some of the songs I saw "all rights reserved" meaning that the creator still owns tge music and you are supposed to get permission for its use. Which by youtubes terms of agreement is usually good with a l I nk to the copyright license saying its good for creative commons. If they can not or will not give you a link or documentation saying they give you permission dont do it. Seeing they can envoke their rights at anytime and get your vid removed or worse a copyright strike on your account.

UltimateKirbyBoi

Certified Sorta Cool Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
They released an email earlier regarding this:
Monstercat and it's artists are gamers! We have invested thousands of hours of our lives destroying zombies, building elaborate worlds, raiding end-game bosses, levelling up etc. It is a very large part of our lives!

In saying this, understand that we love the video content (machinimas, walk-throughs, montages etc) that many of you create! We are often asked what our policy is for using our music in YouTube videos – here it is!

Monstercat Music Licensing – YouTube Gaming Policy:

MONSTERCAT WILL NEVER STRIKE/TAKEDOWN A VIDEO USING OUR PUBLICLY AVAILABLE MUSIC

Monstercat music can be used in all video gaming content. We ask that all music used in a video be credited back to the original artist by linking to the song.

A content-id match will automatically be applied to videos using our music. This guarantees that the original musician fairly receives a % of the audio portion of the advertising earnings. This does not affect the video or channel in any way. We have strong relationships with every major gaming network. (ie Machinima, Curse, TGS, Fullscreen, TGN) The audio match will look like this: http://i.imgur.com/cxUh5bo.png
The visual portion and a part of the audio portion are still available to be monetized in all YouTube video gaming content. You can continue to claim your videos as you normally would.

Finally, we do offer FREE commercial licenses to select content creators. This includes a 100% monetizable commercial license, our complete catalogue of music and a slew of free merch! Apply by clicking here:

For those curious, these policies do not ONLY apply to gaming but to all YouTube video content. We want to wish you all the best and can't wait to see the videos that you create! Please feel free to share this information with your fans as our music is now available for everyone!

Best wishes,

Mike Darlington
Monstercat Co-Founder

©2013 Monstercat | Toronto On | N/A
This email was sent to ultimatekirbyboi@hotmail.com. To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list. View this email on the web here. You can also forward to a friend.
Unsubscribe