Monetizing through a licensing agency and third party content

YojimboBebop

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm here seeking a little advice. I put up a video of my daughter and wife on youtube. I have a third party claim that I acknowledged as well on the video. After I acknowledged it I got a private message from a licensing agency (Storyful) that wanted to monetize and promote my video. I think this is cool so I talk to them about the copy-written content in my video and ask them if it would create a problem for their/my ad revenue. They assured me that since they didn't take down the video that they were okay with my use of it. They said that they would get 50% of the revenue and the owner/publisher of the song would get the other half of it. They also said that they are only claiming the visual aspect of the video, not the audio portion.

Is this all true? I can't seem to find a specific answer to my scenario. They said the most they would do is take down the video. Are they taking me down a dangerous road? Storyful and I are making money off of this video by it being sold to websites like aol, yahoo, msn, etc, as well. It's not just ad revenue that I'm making money on. However the version they're selling to websites to use has new, free, creative commons music played over the whole video.

Thanks for any insight you have. Let me know if I didn't explain anything properly.

Last edited:

YojimboBebop

Reaction score
Sorry guys. I'm sure this is frowned upon but I'd really appreciate a couple opinions on my post...