Monetizing music reviews?

tkline

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I searched and didn't find the exact answer. Basically, I want to set up a new youtube channel where I review new albums from different bands. While I'm talking, I'd like to have music from that album playing in the background. I was thinking I would do something like a medley of 20-30 second clips from each song, played as a loop running in the background. Is something like this legal? I want to have a channel I can monetize, definitely don't want to have my videos taken down or anything. Anyone have any advice or know if this type of thing would be OK?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Definitely would not be either ok, or monetizable. The least that could happen is that each video might get multiple Content ID claims, and the worst would be multiple strikes, which could terminate your channel. You cannot monetize a channel with copyright media you don't own the rights to, at all.

tkline

Reaction score
That's what my gut told me. So, how do other people get away with it? I see many big channels showing movie clips, music video clips, and also playing snipits of music they clearly don't own. Channels with thousands of followers. Do they have to get rights to show that stuff ahead of time?

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Some of them have the rights, others are not getting the revenue. Only because you see ads doesn't mean the money is going to the creator.

Music companies are really a pain in the butt and are really greedy, I wouldn't mess with that if you are trying to monetise your channel.
I got a video claimed because I used a remix of a known song, remix meaning it was an obscure version that has nothing to do with the original song, except the same popular tune.

Long story short: YouTube told me that even a remix, cover or anything that sounds similar can be claimed by the original artist and those companies are looking for their songs every day specially since Content ID makes it easier for them to find them,