monetizing children's channel

Jimmy21

Reaction score
My family wants to do a youtube channel that would be aimed being educational for small children. Compilations of different animals and colors, etc. I know this has been done to death, with a lot of channels putting out VERY repetitious content. We want to make our channel more quality with more effort put in to our videos. I've been looking at different channels and i haven't seen ads or comments on any of these types of channels. Are these not approved for monetization?

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Getting a channel like that monetized will fall somewhere between impossible and very hard.
Such channels offer very little for the advertiser - little kids have no disposable income to spend on products, so advertisers do not want their adverts on such channels as return on investment/clicks are so low or zero.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
As a matter of fact, YouTube declared that entire content type non-monetizable sometime last year; and is now demonetizing every one they find if already monetized with the reason of "repetitious content".

Andrewcu

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have two monetised children's channels. Both of which got approved again this year. One teaches numbers and colours, the other just has fun visuals.

However I put out very few videos because mine are primarily stop motion. For examples of monetised kids channels, check out:

Tiny Tunes
Porky
Jolly Toy Art

@UKHypnotist: do you have a link for that declaration? Just out of interest. Cheers.

Andrewcu

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you make quality, non repetitious content, I think you can still be monetized with that content type.

Reactions: markkaz

Andrewcu

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Channels like Insert Coin and Orange Songs are the type of content you DON'T want to make. Super repetitive and mind numbing.

I find if you have actual people in your kids videos your chance of monetisation is very good.

Reactions: markkaz

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@Andrewcu

Channels like Insert Coin and Orange Songs are the type of content you DON'T want to make. Super repetitive and mind numbing.

I find if you have actual people in your kids videos your chance of monetisation is very good.
That will change, unfortunately.

The main problem with channels aimed at young children is this:

Unless the children's parents are also watching the same channels, these channels have no value to the advertiser community. Children have no income; and therefore no "buying power" for advertiser's products, and there is no guarantee that they can reliably nag their parents into buying advertisers' products for them.

Andrewcu

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@Andrewcu

That will change, unfortunately.

The main problem with channels aimed at young children is this:

Unless the children's parents are also watching the same channels, these channels have no value to the advertiser community. Children have no income; and therefore no "buying power" for advertiser's products, and there is no guarantee that they can reliably nag their parents into buying advertisers' products for them.
But there are ads on tv during kids shows. Please show me one source (from YouTube or news website etc) saying that advertisers don't want to advertise on kids channels. Otherwise it's just speculation. As long as we're speculating, I have friends and family who do watch kids videos on YouTube with their kids, and I suspect many do.

Besides, I really can't imagine a channel a like Cocomelon (53M subscribers, aimed at toddlers) would ever get demonetised.
Now that I think about it, Baby Shark, a very popular kids song from another very big kids channel, was even in YouTube rewind.

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Kids vids should be a toy advertisers dream. Just like all the kids tv shows. Kids do not have disposable income of their own - but make demands on the parents ha ha

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@Andrewcu

Here is one from The Verge, and involves the US Congress.

Something you need to realize. YouTube doesn't make every policy it has public.

I also suggest that you visit the YouTube Support Community, and look at all of the channels posting content aimed at children which have been complaining of being demonetized in recent months, and the Product Experts responses to same. Please make a point of ignoring any responses I myself have made; just look at the other Product Experts' answers. For your convenience, my ID is Hypno-Systems UK.
But there are ads on tv during kids shows.
TV isn't YouTube, and never will be; thank all that's holy!