Monetizing and not monetizing certain content, possible?

KHan604

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a strategy that'll help me build an audience, which is to create content within my niche that will use copyrighted music as the background music while creating a "cartoon-like music video" off of it.
These videos within my niche usually get millions of views if done right.
I want to try gaining some views and eyeballs to my channel before posting content that is not copyright in any way so that I may monetize those videos in the future & make some income off my hard work.
Is this possible? Can I have copyrighted + non-monetized videos with non-copyright + monetized videos on a channel? Are there any rules against my practices?

Thanks for the support~

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Once you are in the partner program you can mark each video monetized or not. You do not have to monetize all of them.
As for using copyrighted music... enter at your own risk. It seems generally the copyright holder will just monetize the vid and get the ad revenue. But they could give you a copyright strike, if they are so inclined.

Reactions: Crown

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
You need to know that you will not be approved for the Partner Programme with unlicensed copyright content on your channel. In fact, uploading unlicensed copyright content is a violation of YouTube's Terms of Service, YouTube's Community Guidelines, and AdSense content policy all at once.

Someone else asked this same question earlier this year; so I will repeat what I told that user.

If you use copyright content to reach the YPP Application thresholds, then remove it before you are reviewed, you will lose all of the watch time that those videos generated. The Channel Review Team will only count the watch time on your publicly available videos. If you don't have enough watch time hours to be reviewed after deleting the copyright content, you are back to square one, building your watch time back up to 4000 hours.

KHan604

Reaction score
You need to know that you will not be approved for the Partner Programme with unlicensed copyright content on your channel. In fact, uploading unlicensed copyright content is a violation of YouTube's Terms of Service, YouTube's Community Guidelines, and AdSense content policy all at once.

Someone else asked this same question earlier this year; so I will repeat what I told that user.

If you use copyright content to reach the YPP Application thresholds, then remove it before you are reviewed, you will lose all of the watch time that those videos generated. The Channel Review Team will only count the watch time on your publicly available videos. If you don't have enough watch time hours to be reviewed after deleting the copyright content, you are back to square one, building your watch time back up to 4000 hours.

Thank you for your reply!~

What if I reach the YPP Application thresholds without the copyrighted content?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Thank you for your reply!~

What if I reach the YPP Application thresholds without the copyrighted content?
Then you will enter the review queue normally and be evaluated for your personally created content; but this also is no guarantee you will be approved, as there are policies your videos must comply with for your channel to pass the review.