Mixing videos categories onto one channel?

Quirkypoo

Reaction score
I'm torn between doing gaming videos and vlogs on the same channel.

What are peoples opinion on mixing different kinds of videos on one channel? Is this potentially less interesting channels for people or could the mix interest people into subscribing?

Reactions: evnanonymous

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

I think vlogs work well with any channel type because it allows your subs to find out a bit about the person making the other type of videos. You could mix in 1 vlog per week maybe?

DIY Reid

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
I'm going to say this is a do as I say not as I do type of thing. I can see where focusing on one niche would be best for your audience, however, I have a Tech/DIY/Automotive style channel because those are my 3 hobbies. Could my channel have grown quicker focusing on just one? Probably, but I did what I did because I wanted to and I do see some success in it.

evnanonymous

Reaction score
ultimately, do what you want :)

to crystallize what that means for you, it might be a good idea to think about the consequence that decision would have on your channel

simply, youll attract different audiences based on the content of your videos

this will create a divergence in viewership relative to your subscriber count

i cant confirm this with 100 % certainty, but ive read the ranking of your videos will be affected if theres too much of a discrepancy between your subscriber base, and the amount of views you get per video

a lot of subscribers, but low viewership, would then mean your videos will rank lower, even with optimized SEO and word-of-mouth promotion

to answer your question, i guess it all comes down to how seriously you take this, and what youre trying to achieve

with that said, having many different types of content doesnt doom your channel, it just makes it even harder to compete with other channels :)

Reactions: Quirkypoo