mixed content

Phil Vanderloo

Hiline Builders Inc.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm just getting started setting up a youtube channel and hoping to use it as a marketing tool for my contracting biz. I'm wondering if it's wrong to mix unrelated content on my channel or what would be the best procedure for categorizing and/or separating different types of videos without compromising my marketing capabilities.
For example I might have multiple vids on sustainable home design mixed with social stuff or other interests like photography or running, etc.
How would I, or would I need to, separate these?

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The best thing you can use are the YouTube playlists so you can divide the videos into playlists which are groups of videos more or less and you can display only certain ones on your channel with the featured playlists feature.

With yours I think it will depend on what will be your main type of content, if its home design videos that you will do most often then I would make sure you do a whole lot more of them than your photography or running videos and make them less dominant on your channel, you could set the home design video playlists to show and play the featured video from it rather than all of them so people get that its mostly about home design. That way less people are as likely to see them and might only check them out if theyre interested getting to know a little more about the guy behind the channel.

Me personally though I wouldnt choose to mix those three together, I think it can lead to a lack of direction for yourself when choosing what kind of video to do next and it could be harder getting new subscribers than if it just focused on the one subject.

Good luck by the way and welcome :)

ForeverAlonePrick

I don't know what's going on.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yeah, that sounds right. You should organize your videos in a way that people can access the content they want. If you want to go even further, you could make separate youtube accounts for your videos, and direct your audience to them, so that they can watch the videos they want to. Good luck :)

Reactions: Michael

Unknownuser983838

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
you might want to have separate channels if you are consistently making videos about completely unrelated topics. if you are vlogging, maybe you can get away with showing different types of things on one channel depending on what you are doing in your life that day.

Phil Vanderloo

Hiline Builders Inc.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks all of you. These suggestions were very helpful. I totally agree that I need to create a brand and get subscribers with clear and concise content. So mixing things up might not be a great thing. Pardon the rookie question but- Is there a difference between separate accounts and separate channels?

Reactions: ForeverAlonePrick

Unknownuser983838

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Thanks all of you. These suggestions were very helpful. I totally agree that I need to create a brand and get subscribers with clear and concise content. So mixing things up might not be a great thing. Pardon the rookie question but- Is there a difference between separate accounts and separate channels?
account and channel means the same thing.