Minecraft Parodies Copyright Procedure

TheEdBoys

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello YTTalkers,

I am here to ask any of you who may know. I am sure a lot of you have seen those minecraft parodies on youtube. Generally the youtuber takes a popular song, changes the lyrics to be minecraft specific, and make a cool animation for it. I was wondering if any of you know what the process is to not be copyrighted for that. Here is what I've noticed:

1. Change up the song a little. Sometimes the song is the same eat and tone but piano instead of guitar, or something along those lines, just so it sounds slightly different.

2. The lyrics: I know that changing a certain percentage of the lyrics helps, or atleast that is what I've heard.

3. Giving credit. All of the titles say "parody of ___" And give the song and artist, and in most of the descriptions there is a small comment that it is not their original song, credit to ___ whoever the artist may be.

This is just what I have seen on the videos, if you guys have any information that would be super helpful!

Thank you everybody!

TruckDynasty

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Believe it or not, a lot of these big YouTube channels actually email/call and ask for specific permission for things like this. Even big time game reviewers like Nerd Cubed emails every game designer that he wants to review just to ask permission to review their game!

It is a little more work just to make sure that when they publish their content they spent many hours on, they will actually get paid and not get hurt for it.

unknown_user54684097890

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Actually, I remember Captain Sparklez saying that he's gotten in trouble numerous times just for similarity. I don't think there's any way to avoid it completely.